how is this stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZombiesAteMyDog

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon tall aquarium, using a aquaclear 70 hang on back filter, how well will this following stocking plan work?

AquStockImage.php

it says I am 99% stocked, and my filtration is at 161%, a few people have told me that this is actually over stocked, So i just thought I would double check.

:thanks:

I wouldn't say you are overstocked when it comes to bioloads, but this think there is too many fast swimming, active fish to have in a 29 tall. I would drop the danio or tetras and get another "centipede" fish like a ram or apisto.

what could I put in there with the dwarf gourami that would not be aggressive? I would love a german blue ram, but I hear they can fight with the gourami.

I would agree with getting rid of the danios or tetras. What about getting a second or even 3 dwarf gourami?

A dwarf gourami and a ram should be fine together. I have kept rams with normal gourami with no problem. The rams are more of a bottom to middle dweller, while the gourami is mostly a top dweller.

I actually wanted 2 - 3 gouramis but was told they wouldn't get along, I would happily drop the neon tetras in favor of more than 1 gourami or a gourami + a GBR.

I would stay away from having the Sam species of gourami. You could maybe try a dwarf flame, and a honey. How is this. 1 dwarf gourami, 1 honey gourami, 1 German blue ram, 5 zebra danio, 5 cory cats, and 4 guppies.

That is absolutely perfect and exactly what I am looking for! Thanks for the tip on which can go together, I'll be sure and post a pic once it's fully stocked.

If you do indeed purchase a dwarf gourami and a honey gourami be sure to monitor them for aggression. Honey gourami's are often (but not always) a more docile species but dwarfs are often bullies and not just with their own species. I have a 220g 100% planted tank with 3 dwarf gourami and 1 honey and the one Red Flame Gourami is aggressive with not only the gourami's but with the 12 adult angelfish. He will actually chase and nip at the angels especially when food is involved. If he were in a smaller tank I would most likely have to rehome him.

I have kept gouramis for a long time. One thing I noticed in community aquariums with smaller south american tetras is that gouramis get aggressive with them. I once put a dwarf into a community tank with neons and others thinking a single dwarf would be fine... in the next week or so I lost a few neons. They would turn belly up, and their bodies had punctures in them. Couldn't figure out which fish was doing that since I never see them being chased. Then one very early morning I noticed that in the ambient light of early morning dwarfs would wake up earlier than the tetras and it would go around pecking at the tetras who were still sleeping. And they'd end up dead. Oh some angels also have this tendency to do this early in the morning.

Lots of gouramis just don't mix with smaller peaceful schooling fish. exception would be the very small gouramis like honey, or croaking. I wouldn't even trust chocolate gouramis. Gouramis seem to start moving the earliest with the very first hint of light.

I am going to be skipping the neon tetras, will the danio be okay with a gourami or 2?

Back
Top Bottom