How lng should our canister filter be on before we add fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsilvers

Aquarium Advice Regular
We got a lovely Ecco Classic external filter for our new 55. We have been building levels with rocks, adding the rich substrate with live bacteria--which has been great in our other two tanks...we are going to fill the tank all the way up and start the filter. Our LFS guy told us that because we have water-packed substrate with live bacteria in there, with water from our established 10 gallon (the fish from there will be the first inhabitants) that we should be ok cycling for about 48 hours to get all contaminants down. Then let the fish do the rest of the work. Just check pH first...Oh, and we are filling it up with lots of live plants...which is what our levels are for. So what is everyones' vote here? is 48 hours accurate given the added substrate, etc., etc?

I would think you need to wait over a week to see if you have a cycle, if not, then you could add the fish.

This is what I thought, too. We do need fish to cycle the tank though...and the ones in our 10 are hardy...hmmm...I'm not sure what to do...

You dont need fish to cycle the tank, just throw in a raw shrimp. I hear this is a great way to let the cycle start. I think if you use fish, you will have some deaths, which is not a great idea. What kind of fish do you have?

We were going to throw in our pleco and neons from that 10 gal. But keep the glass catfish in the 10 until the 55 is well established. I think what we might do is let is cycle and just test the water and see. the live bacteria in the substrate really take care of the cycle start...they aren't a quick solutions...but I think we will just have to test and see...besides, I won't put them in until the pH is close to what it is in the 10. I don't want to shock them. And our water is naturally more basic. So we will have to wait a bit regardless of substrate, etc...

The neons are not going to make it if the tank even has the slightest cycle, and if you were going to leave the fish in the 10, why not leave all of them and let the cycle take its place. It will be well worth it. Also, you say you are going to have a planted tank, what kind of lighting do you have?

We will definitely do that. We did it with our other tanks and it is worth the wait...but that's why I asked. I thought the LFS guy was off by a few days.
We have a great light. It's a little under 200 watts total. it's a dual spectrum light from coralife. A larger version of what we have on the 20 gal, which is 65 watts. We willset up the live plants in the substrate and start them on Co2 and Plant Gro. Then test the water after a week...see how things are doing.
Now, wehn you say throw in a shrimp...what kind?

I too have heard the joke about urinating into the tank. However, that idea was made out of fun. I have never seen ONE report of it actually being done. At least not by anyone sane. I believe that if one were serious about fishless cycling then they should simply add ammonia to the tank.

Go here for a look at the instructions: http://www.geocities.com/wtaf2000/fishless.html

I did a fishless cycle with household ammonia. The Good Value from Walmart works great. It took a month, but I did not have any gravel or filters for seeding. (So, it will take yours a lot shorter to cycle. Diary have 10 - 14 days.) Look under "fishless cycle" under google. There are two articles from Chris Cow. It was really great for my plants as well because the nitrate level went throught the roof at the end of the cycle. :D

Back
Top Bottom