how long BEFORE i start to see tannins releasing into my water?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
i got 3 really big pieces of driftwood some of you may of saw the post i made. I had it soak for about 24 hours now and I still don't see any color bleeding out. Does it take a week before I will notice or should I start to notice a day later.

I am hoping this stuff may be removed of all its tannins but that might be wishing for too much.

how long before your driftwood started to leech out?

I guess that would depend on wood type , etc. I'm currently soaking a root system piece I found in nearby forest preserve, going on day 11 (water change every night). Water did not get colored until about 18 hours or so in water. Tub with the piece is in rarely used shower, so water change is a breathe, I'm filling with hottest water my house water heater can make.

Anywho, its a long process So grab yourself a handful of patience (and give me some too when you find it :) )

i got 3 really big pieces of driftwood some of you may of saw the post i made. I had it soak for about 24 hours now and I still don't see any color bleeding out. Does it take a week before I will notice or should I start to notice a day later.

I am hoping this stuff may be removed of all its tannins but that might be wishing for too much.

how long before your driftwood started to leech out?

Purigen or a carbon filter pad with absorb tannins and help keep the water clear in the event the wood does leach tannins.

are any of those things bad for heavily planted tanks?!?! i honestly don't even know what media is in my filter as i bought it used and came with media.

round brown balls 2 baskets

white little tubes 2 baskets.

i have ehiem pro 3 2075

Activated carbon will rob water of minerals usefull for plant growth, purigen as they say will not. I'm not sure what media eheim supplies with their filter, they probably do go with a AC cartridge.

But it is not a problem really, you can only run AC for few weeks and remove when water color stabilized and then plant.

Still I would soak for at least two weeks prior to puting DW in a tank, even if water does not change color.

why would u soak it for 2 weeks? Its already in the tank screwed into 24x12 sheets of slate and covered with 2-3inches of safe t sorb substrate

Because I would prefer for anything that is going to leach out during these weeks to not go into my tank. It also lost lots of buoyancy, will not need to weight it down so much.

My experience is that if you're going to see tannins, you would have seen it by now.

I don't mind the look at all, and considering that some of the fish we keep in this hobby actually prefer a blackwater habitat, I don't really understand all the tannin hate. :p

My experience is that if you're going to see tannins, you would have seen it by now.

I don't mind the look at all, and considering that some of the fish we keep in this hobby actually prefer a blackwater habitat, I don't really understand all the tannin hate. :p

I love tannins. My wood took one night to alter the colour of the water dramatically. I can also understand why some people don't like then though.

Like others have said, depends on the wood.

Years ago I had a single piece of driftwood about 12" long and 5lbs. Turned my water dark brown after a day and I had repeatedly boiled it over the course of a week.

Fast forward to now, I have three similarly sized pieces in a 55g and the water isn't tinted at all, and I did not treat them beforehand. They've been in my tanks for a couple years now.

I guess I got lucky cuz now almost 36 hours in and no sign of leeching

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I guess I got lucky cuz now almost 36 hours in and no sign of leeching

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You might not see it in the tank but if you do water changes using a white bucket you may notice a slight discoloration with the water. That was the case for several months with Malaysian DW in my shrimp tank. It cleared up eventually. I never really noticed in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom