How long before nitrAtes kick in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natalieb2017

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started cycling my tank 4 weeks ago. I saw a little ammonia spike in week 2 but nothing substantial. Never deep emerald or green. At the end of week 3 i saw my first nitrIte spike. I am still getting light purple in my nitrItes, very faint yellow green for ammonia, and deep yellow but not true orange in nitrAtes. I'm doing 30 percent water changes daily to maintain my levels.

I feel like my nitrAte cycle is on the brink of kicking in and I should start to see the orange and that nitrIte level will drop back to 0.

Am I correct? Is there anything I can or should do?

Sounds about right.
Are you cycling with fish in the tank?
Often the nitrite converting bacteria take a little longer then the ammonia converting bacteria.
If the ammonia and nitrite are not climbing quick you could reduce the daily wc to 25%?
What size tank and who is the ammonia source...?

Thank you. 29 gal. A school of 6 Danios.

I did a huge no no not thinking last Friday.

I cleaned the gravel. I was playing watching the silt rise in the vacuum.

2 days later I realized my error. I provable pulled the good bacteria out of my substrate.

Odds are the mulm did not have much good in it. The bacteria would rather grow on the gravel.
It is tougher then most think. It is good to get gunk out. Just a tough call while cycling.
It is just a feed and watch grow...Always seems slow.
You are doing it right and IMO at the half way point if not just past.

Back
Top Bottom