How long before Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilikefish_

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long should I wait to put fish in my 30 gallon tank? I've had it running for a day but I'm wondering when can I put fish in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You haven't really given us enough information to judge. Typically you want it up at least a week before you add fish but keep in mind that means it has not cycled yet. There are a lot of ways to get it to cycle. Until it does, you shouldn't add any fish.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What info do you need?

I would recommend going to the Aquarium Advice homepage and reading through some of the fresh water articles. They are very well written and extremely informative. They cover everything from starting a tank and getting it cycled to picking the right substrate to grow plants. Once you finish those, you will know the right questions to ask and you can get any additional help you need! Good luck!

As to what additional info, a lot of things can affect things. For example, I recently set up a tank and added fish a week after it was set up. However, I was able to take some filter media from an established tank to get the bacteria going, added live plants and also used Seachem Stability as an added precaution. I don't anticipate the aquarium to ever truly cycle because I only have 2 (well now 3) fish in it and the bacteria has been set up.

But I wouldn't recommend doing what I did. Instead, I would take things slowly (which is so HARD because the excitement of the new tank makes us want to add fish right after the water) but trust me it is better than having a lot of dead fish (which happened to me with my first tank due to a diseased fish but really depressed me).

Fish In Tank Cycling

How long should I wait to put fish in my 30 gallon tank? I've had it running for a day but I'm wondering when can I put fish in it?

Hello i...

You can put a few small fish into the tank anytime. Before you do, make sure you're prepared to test the tank water every day for traces of ammonia and nitrite. You'll need to monitor the water for these toxic forms of nitrogen and remove and the replace the water if you have a positive test. This method of preparing the the tank to maintain the fish is referred to as "Fish In" tank cycling.

You should review this process and be familiar with the procedure before you add fish to the tank.

B

If you have a local fish store, you can ask them for established bibo media, and if you get enogh for your tan, can slowly add a few fish every week.

Back
Top Bottom