How long before you can successfully breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rondory

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

Just getting ready to set up my fish tank and would like to start out with a couple of Kribs. I thought it would be nice for them to have a 46 gallon tank to themselves for a bit.

I might be jumping into wanting to breed too early in my tank setup or maybe it is possible to breed them successfully after everything has cycled and going well for several weeks.

When I was a kid I used to breed guppies and enjoyed it quite a bit.

It will also allow me to keep some of fry vs being overstocked after a breeding session.

There are many factors to breeding and depending on what you are trying to breed, some are easier then others.

IMO, with Kribs, the first thing you need to do is find a compatible male and female pair. When I first started breeding kribs, I went through 4 differnt males for my female, because she didn't like any of them. Once I found a male she did like, it took awhile for the male to accept her.

Once that happened, I did lots of water changes and fed them a big variety of different foods. It took about 4 months before they spawned, but after the first spawning, they continued to spawn every 3-4 weeks. I had tons of kribs!

I hope that helps a little. Good luck!

I went through 4 differnt males for my female, because she didn't like any of them.

Did you return them or just leave them in the tank?

Thank you for the info

I have 4 pairs of kirbs. They all sem to have paired off. I started with 6ps. I removed all the males that we're turned down or pushed away by the females. but luckly i have ended up with 4sexed pairs. They are a little over 5 months old and are just now showing signs of breeding. The females are just now starting to get the dark pink to almost red belly area.

I have found with kribs to get them in breeding colors. Frozen Blood worms/Freash live brine shrimp or frozen. Once you get your female to start showing the breding colors { dark pink to almost red belly area and darkening of the dorsal fin with black dots showing throw.

That when your going to stat seeing pairing most kribs are life breeders depending on the pair or spices of the kirb. But most will bred for life.

Back
Top Bottom