How Long Can Fish Go Without Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patroklos

Aquarium Advice Freak
In this case five Chromis and one Powder Blue Tang.

I am headed to a wedding this weekend and am leaving today (3 days total). I could have my roomate sprinkle in some flake food but I doubt he would remember to do the frozen/seaweed preparations I feed every other day.

Will my fish be able to survive 3 days without real food? I am particularly worried about the Powder Blue Tang as he is still in quarantine (three weeks now, looking great!) and thus doesn't have live rock to supplement his diet.

They will make it 3 days for sure. I`ve read that in the wild fish can go up to 2 weeks without food. I only feed mine every other day anyway and two more days wont hurt.

In an established tank, you should be ok. Even kinda new maybe. I can leave for 7 days and not lose a fish. But i do feed them heavily for 3 or 4 days before I go.

Edited - just noticed the tang in QT with no rock to nibble on. I'd get the room mate to do the sprinkle thing you mentioned.

I agree, I do skip the third every once in a while. Make sure to have some top off water. You may want to treat it so your roommate doesn't have to treat it for you.

Back
Top Bottom