How long can I keep Mollies in a ten gal. and more stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just set up a tank a couple of months ago. Ten gallons, gravel, fake plants, Tetra heater, and Tetra Whisper Internal Power filter for 2-10 gallon tank. I added 4 ghost shrimp, waited a couple of weeks and added 2 Mollies. I didn't research about cycling before I jumped in and bought fish. I also didn't realize that Mollies get too big for a 10 gallon tank. I am planning on getting a 20 gallon long tank soon and cycling it. I was wondering how soon my Mollies will out grow their ten gal. tank. I got them really small and they have already grown a lot in the last month. My ghost shrimp have also gotten huge. One is big enough to challenge the Mollies and is quite feisty. It even tries to attac the cat who likes to watch the fish. The cat was the reason I got the tank. Trying to distract him from my snake.

I want to add more fish to my current tank and then invest in a bigger tank this Spring. I have been looking at a 20 gallon long at Petsmart. But I was hoping to find a good deal on a used tank. when I didn't want a tank, I had several large ones offered to me. When I finally decided to set one up, no such luck. Yet.

Here is a list of the fish I want to buy.

Ballon Belly Molly-2 or 3
Dwarf Gourami - 1
Zebra Dano - 4 - 6
Scissor Tail Raspboro - 4 ?
Black Kuhli Loach - 3
Glofish - 6

Can I add all of these to my current tank? A few of them? What if I bought the smallest available of these fish? Will they all work in a 20 long tank? Or should I scale back my list?

Sorry but you can't add anything else to your current 10g and that is way too many for a 20L. In a 20L if you move your 2 Mollies over you could do the Kuhli Loaches and the ST Rasbora's and call it a day. Molly's get very large, have heavy bodies, and have a high bio-load. Personally were it me I'd get the 20L, rehome the mollies, and get a Honey or Dwarf Gourami, a school of 8 Rasboras or small tetras, and get 6 Kuhli Loaches. This would give the tank a smaller bio-load and IMO it would look very nice.

Thanks for the advice. I wish I could rehome the Mollies but I don't know anybody else who has a fish tank. How large of a tank would I need to keep the Mollies and incorporate your suggested stocking? If I had the room I would just keep the Mollies in the ten gal. and get the 20 long or larger tank. Maybe I could talk my sister into letting me set up the 10 in the living room. I share a house with her and Dad while I build my house. I would love to have a larger tank. Hopefully I can find a used one reasonably priced. I am finding my interest in aquariums growing.

get a 29 gallon, the same foot print as 20 long and you can keep your mollies ( and some babies when they pop out) I had 5 platys (also poop machines!) and a whole lotta cories. They sadly have died for some odd reason, I think stress of birth. Now I am working on a whole tank of a lot of little fish.

get a 29 gallon, the same foot print as 20 long and you can keep your mollies ( and some babies when they pop out) I had 5 platys (also poop machines!) and a whole lotta cories. They sadly have died for some odd reason, I think stress of birth. Now I am working on a whole tank of a lot of little fish.

+1 to this. a 29g would be great for them. Same footprint, just taller so unless the spot you want the tank to be has height limitations then I'd go for a 29g.

I had a height and space issue being in a condo, and I had just enough room for a 29, I really wanted something bigger but the tank is coming along. The 29 gives you a lot of play room, and even if you decide mollies aren't for you, you could do an amazing Little fish tank With lots of color. I am trying my hand at it now. Glowlights, Neons tetras, 2 Female guppies, 5 galaxy rasboras, a LOT of cories, and few baby growouts. Plus I am working on my plants. Oh and phil the Halfmoon elephant ear betta.

You can check around with local fish/pet shops to see if they will take them. Often times they do. Or as stated above you could go for a 29, keep the mollies and get the rest of the stock.

Lucked out and got a 29 gallon tank free. Now to up grade the filter and heater then more fish. Started another thread on new tank. Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom