Hit the aquarium jackpot, Yeah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been looking for a bigger aquarium and was hoping I could find someone with a 20 gal. or larger that they did not want anymore. Well, my sister remember one that she bought for her son years ago that she thought was in her storage shed. She let me rummage around and see if i could find it. Well I found it and it was a huge one(30 gallon? dimensions are 30"long x 12" wide x 18" deep) with an Aqua-Tech 3PH filter and lots of gravel and decorations. It was very filthy though. My nephew lost interest in it and didn't clean it or do any up keep. When all the fish died, he just drained off the water and stuck everything in the storage building. It has sit there for around 10 years. I have scrubbed it down and cleaned all the equipment with dish soap and kosher salt and checked it for leaks. No leaks. The plastic that sits on the bottom of the tank has cracked in a few places but the pumps work. I rinsed it thoroughly and have it sitting with vinegar and salt water to disinfect it.

The ceramic caves that were in it have lost some of their paint and are garishly colored. Is there any paint that I could use on them or should I just cover them with small natural looking gravel glued on with aquarium silicone? I hate to just throw them away. I am cleaning the stones that were in it but I am throwing out the gravel because it is in really bad shape.

Any suggestions on a heater or filter system if I need to replace it? I am going to plug in the one that came with it and see how loud it is. It is really old though and I don't know how long it would last or how efficient it is.

I already have 2 Mollies and 4 ghost shrimp in a ten gallon tank. I want to move them into the large tank when it is cycled. I am looking into doing a fishless cycle. Here is a list of fish I wanted to add to a larger tank

Ballon Belly Molly
Dwarf Gourami
Zebra Dano
Scissor Tail Raspboro
Black Kuhli Loach
Glofish

How many of each should I get? Any suggestions on other fish and in what quantities I could have? I have never owned anything above a 10 gallon and I am so excited.

I have been looking for a bigger aquarium and was hoping I could find someone with a 20 gal. or larger that they did not want anymore. Well, my sister remember one that she bought for her son years ago that she thought was in her storage shed. She let me rummage around and see if i could find it. Well I found it and it was a huge one(30 gallon? dimensions are 30"long x 12" wide x 18" deep) with an Aqua-Tech 3PH filter and lots of gravel and decorations. It was very filthy though. My nephew lost interest in it and didn't clean it or do any up keep. When all the fish died, he just drained off the water and stuck everything in the storage building. It has sit there for around 10 years. I have scrubbed it down and cleaned all the equipment with dish soap and kosher salt and checked it for leaks. No leaks. The plastic that sits on the bottom of the tank has cracked in a few places but the pumps work. I rinsed it thoroughly and have it sitting with vinegar and salt water to disinfect it.

The ceramic caves that were in it have lost some of their paint and are garishly colored. Is there any paint that I could use on them or should I just cover them with small natural looking gravel glued on with aquarium silicone? I hate to just throw them away. I am cleaning the stones that were in it but I am throwing out the gravel because it is in really bad shape.

Any suggestions on a heater or filter system if I need to replace it? I am going to plug in the one that came with it and see how loud it is. It is really old though and I don't know how long it would last or how efficient it is.

I already have 2 Mollies and 4 ghost shrimp in a ten gallon tank. I want to move them into the large tank when it is cycled. I am looking into doing a fishless cycle. Here is a list of fish I wanted to add to a larger tank

Ballon Belly Molly
Dwarf Gourami
Zebra Dano
Scissor Tail Raspboro
Black Kuhli Loach
Glofish

How many of each should I get? Any suggestions on other fish and in what quantities I could have? I have never owned anything above a 10 gallon and I am so excited.

Hi, don't forget you can just move the filter and media from the ten right over to the 30 along with the other filter and should be able to put them right in (someone will chime in if I am wrong) that way you don't have to wait...good find:flowers:

I have no useful stocking suggestions. I just wanted to say AWESOME! I already want a larger tank. =)

So, when I set up the 30 gallon I could just transfer the filter, water, decorations, and fish and shrimp immediately? I just cycled the ten gallon. I have only had a tank for 3 months or so. Didn't find out about cycling until after I got the shrimp and 2 mollies. Then it was a race to learn how to cycle and save my fish. My 10 gallon just finished cycling or at least I think it is cycled. I am still having to do water changes every few days to keep the nitrates low enough. All the other tests (ammonia, nitrites, ph) are staying in safe levels but the nitrates keep showing just slightly high. Or maybe I am reading the color change wrong. Test kit is Freshwater Master Test Kit from Walmart. I am going to order another the AP test kit because I think the one from Walmart was old and I wonder if it is any good.

I will have to buy another filter because the one that was with the tank is an under gravel one and I am not sure if everything is there. I will have to research it some. I also have to get a bigger heater. I only have one for a 10-15 tank.
I am reading everything on here I can find about 30 gallon tanks and filters. I can't wait to get more fish.

Ballon Belly Molly
Dwarf Gourami
Zebra Dano
Scissor Tail Raspboro
Black Kuhli Loach
Glofish

You used soap to clean the tank? Make sure you rinse REALLY well if so.

yes, if your tank is cycled you can just move the filter, with all media inside, to your 30 gallon ..make sure you do have another filter to insure enough filtration OR get one filter big enough for your size tank such as aquaclear 50 for example....and take the media out the 10g filter and add to new filter....hope I didn't just confuse u

Seed the filter material in advance

You can add a piece of bulk filter pad and put it into the HOB filter in next to the filter cartridge, and then even tuck one in the outflow into the tank, for a couple weeks for a head start on BB.

Dish soap isn't good for washing out a tank, just make quadruple sure you rinse even under the top edges several times. Preferable to use salt and baking soda and vinegar combinations and skip soap.

You can add a piece of bulk filter pad and put it into the HOB filter in next to the filter cartridge, and then even tuck one in the outflow into the tank, for a couple weeks for a head start on BB.

Dish soap isn't good for washing out a tank, just make quadruple sure you rinse even under the top edges several times. Preferable to use salt and baking soda and vinegar combinations and skip soap.

+1 agree(y)

I did rinse it very well. Then rinsed it again and again and again. The I used vinegar and salt to disinfect it. Then rinsed again and again and again. I bet my water bill is going to take a hit. LOL I was very careful because I know soap will kill fish but I didn't know how else to get all the scum off of it. It was really bad.

I am going to buy another filter like the one I currently have and put one on each side of the tank. It is rated for up to 15 gallons so two should be fine in the 30 gallon shouldn't it? I also have to buy another heater. The one I currently have is only for a 10 gallon tank and I need more gravel. I will be using some of the tumbled rock that was in the 30 gallon but the gravel was disgusting. I am going to put it in the flower pots for drainage. I think I will pick up some live plants the next time I am at Petsmart. I also have to get a hood. The cat doesn't bother the ten gallon but I am not taking any chances. I have plexiglass and I am pretty good at building things so I think I will design my own hood instead of buying one.

What about fish that I listed? How many of each could I get without over crowding? Should I leave any of them off?

Ballon Belly Molly
Dwarf Gourami
Zebra Dano
Scissor Tail Raspboro
Black Kuhli Loach
Glofish

Maybe consider some black Petco sand, 4 Kuhli, 1 dwarf Gourami if that is what you want, I love my Pearl Gourami, maybe skip the Danios and do a little more checking to be sure about different Rasboras before you go for it, then maybe 6-8 small ones, and maybe 2-3 Mollies. I personally don't care for Glofish so I wouldn't recommend them. Kuhlis like to be in groups, and Rasboras need to be in decent size groups.

I guess Danios can be nippy, but they are so crazy all over the tank. To me they aren't peaceful. Maybe check into some dwarf Pygmy Cories.

Also when you go to the fish store just picture the fish together in color, location where they hang out in the tank (bottom, middle upper or top), combination of temperaments and how many you need to have to keep them feeling safe (shoal or school, loner). Especially how big they will end up getting full grown.

Remember to add a few fish slowly even when cycled. In a new tank with new filter. Don't full stock right away leave room for additions for schools or just to get a different type fish to complement what is there.

Lots of research!

I'll be following along. Can't wait to see how it turns out! I have a feeling you'll be upgrading again.

For fish, I'd recommend the loaches, the mollies, the dwarf gouramis, and the rasboras. I too don't like glofish that much. The artificial coloring really turns me off. Then again it's completely your choice so if you like them you can get them. Keep in mind that they're just zebra danios with artificial coloring so they will act the same. Zebra danios might do well or might not. I don't know much about them.

I'd recommend getting some sand. It looks better and is much easier to clean. Avoid play sand, but pool filter or aquarium sand are both soft and will sit on the bottom.

For filtration, I'd recommend getting an Aquaclear 50. I love aquaclears because they're quiet and have very effective filtration, and the carbon isn't inside the filter sponge so it's easier to change without having to change the sponge too (a lot of filters I've known do that and it's extremely annoying). And there's no such thing as too much filtration!

I think your tank maybe a 29 gallon with the measurements that you gave. That is what I've got.

Yeah it is a 29 gallon. After I started the post I found a calculator for weight and volume of aquariums. With the measurements I have it comes out a little over 29 gallons and around 330 pounds. Needed to check because I live on the second floor. Shouldn't be a problem but I will have to reinforce the table I am going to use to set the aquarium on. Better safe than sorry.

here is an easy thing to do.
You'll need a REALLY good filter, Aquaclear is the brand to have, once you get it you'll see why. You can customize what you use in the filter, and you just slap the current filter media in there, move everybody over, I would use the gravel/substrate you have in there now with a media bag in the new tank or run your 10 gallon filter with your Aquaclear. Aquaclears are so well built you can keep it stocked well. I keep an aquaclear 70 on my 29 gallon. They have them on sale @ Amazon, or foster. Free filter media for a year.
You can NEVER HAVE ENOUGH FILTRATION.

Ordered my equipment and I am patiently waiting for it to arrive. I will post a picture when I get my tank set up. I am so tired of waiting and ready to get started. I want more fish.

Hi, don't forget you can just move the filter and media from the ten right over to the 30 along with the other filter and should be able to put them right in (someone will chime in if I am wrong) that way you don't have to wait...good find:flowers:

Your correct on this about moving the filter over. Just be sure and invest in a test kit, API master liquid kit is recommended here, it can be found
On amazon for around $20. Just monitor your water params after adding fish.

Another vote for aquaclear cause 2 filters rated for 15 gallons each is really not enough for a 15 in my opinion I have 2 ac 70's on my 55 and a 500 gph pump pumping threw a .5 micron house filter as most here say can never filter to much

Finally got all my equipment in yesterday. Getting ready to set up my 29 gallon. I am having a problem finding black sand in my area so I have decided to go with
pool filter sand. I will post a picture in a few days. Got to move my 10 gallon and then set up the 29 gallon in its place. I have to carry the water in buckets up several stairs so It will take me awhile.
I ended up sticking with the Tetra Whisper brand of filters. Got the 40 gallon size. If that doesn't do the job, I will get the Aqueon or Fluval one. Right now, the Whisper one was the most affordable. Got a new heater, filter, thermometer, net, and the API test kit. Working on making my own decor with tile and river rock. Still deciding on plants. More to come.

The Whisper is fine. It isn't my brand of choice, but there's nothing wrong with it.

I'd recommend against the balloon mollies, personally. The reason they have the "balloon" appearance is that they are bred for a short bodied deformity. I've seen a lot of them that can barely swim. If the potential size of regular mollies concerns you, maybe check out platies instead- there are lots of nice color variations available and they stay smaller than mollies.

If you are interested in easy starter plants, IMO you can't go wrong with java moss and java fern (there is also a "lace" variety of java fern available, with ruffled leaves). These plants are extremely easy to keep and require very little light.

Back
Top Bottom