How long did your figure 8 puffer live for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J.Mcpeak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had a figure 8 puffer Tetraodon biocellatus for five or six years, I have just found it dead. It wasn't looking about like normal so I had a hunt about and found it dead. My first one lasted 18 months, fish size 6cm total length. I understood they lasted 15 years. Any serious puffer fans have any clues? I'm a good fishkeeper in fact I'm deadly serious. I moved him in yesterday all seemed fine. This morning he looked a bit perky tonight dead. No obvious signs. Tank maintenance hasn't changed a lot over that whole time period? My question is if youve kept one how long did it last?

They can live 15 years with the best care. Main factors IMO are: at least 15g of water for the F8 alone (more water for additional fish), weekly water changes, variety in diet, constant salinity with premixing of new water, keep water parameters constant with very little fluctuations. Stress from tankmates can also factor in.

Even with the best care, there are unknown facts about newly introduced fish such as genes, previous owner's care, and the condition a F8 was raised in the wild. These factors can reduce the maximum the number of years an F8 can live.

My 8 was kept with bumblebee goby B Doriae, or by itself. It has been alone in the tank for a couple of years. I am the only owner except the fish store. I moved it once to this address, yesterday I moved it again to its new spot in the fish house. Tonight dead. Water 1.007 temp 25 C regular water changes. Weekly RO top up. Fed live snails frozen small shrimp and cockle shell I think it is. Internal parasite treatment on an annual basis, the same practice for all of my tanks. With some inconsistency here and there. Nobody is perfect, but nothing less than I've normally done over those 5-6 years. Thank you so far. I'm gutted it is so far off the mark. I really loved that little fish. The character is second to none. I knew instantly something was wrong because it wasn't seeing what was going on "outside"
The tank was a 60 litre 60x30x30 2x1x1Ft
Edit- I have never experienced fry from this fish or seen it grow so I can't speculate on its age at purchase. It was 2-3 cms at time of purchase.
Edit- it's mussel fine chop not cockle shell.

They can live 15 years with the best care. Main factors IMO are: at least 15g of water for the F8 alone (more water for additional fish), weekly water changes, variety in diet, constant salinity with premixing of new water, keep water parameters constant with very little fluctuations. Stress from tankmates can also factor in.

Even with the best care, there are unknown facts about newly introduced fish such as genes, previous owner's care, and the condition a F8 was raised in the wild. These factors can reduce the maximum the number of years an F8 can live.

My Puffer was 2-3 cms at purchase, 6 at death.
5-6 years to double in size, potentially it could have been 10-12. Is the growth rate constant or do they have a spurt like some species? I have no experience with this fish at a younger age.

I could live with those numbers, even if they fell a bit short of ripe old age.

This was the best little fish ever. If you only have the space for one fish in the world, it is this. Slightly more complex than freshwater but nothing more than a box of marine salt and a hydrometer. Once I'm satisfied my other tanks are tip top in the new house I will be getting another one. Normally little fish shy away, not these, they know who you are and are very much aware of the world outside the tank. I know they are not but it always looks like they have a big grin on there faces.:D

Something I recently learned increase/decrease SG gradually, that's not what the LFS suggested!
Prevents hypo/hyper salinity shock and allows filter bacteria time to adjust.

Advice given to me from the shop, bah it changes all the time don't worry the fish are used to it!

Puffer 1. 18 months. (My fault)
Puffer 2. 5-6 years. Premixed water in a 25L container.
Puffer 3. (Taking bets) increase filter from 2x Fluval 2+ To a single Fluval 205, water as per puffer 2. Using fresh knowledge above.

It would appear I killed my puffer fish or severely shortened its lifespan, LFS knowledge made sense, for an estuary is constantly changing, fresh perspective on brackish water sp. the fish can move up or down in the water course adjusting gradually. More saline water is more dense and sinks forming two layers, fresh above, saline below.

I got a new puffer fish. Tuesday 12th November.
Settled in, eating well, tank SG currently 1.003.

Picture taken Thursday 21st November.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 413
Back
Top Bottom