How long does it take for beneficial bacteria to grow on filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I just got a new HOB filter and I put some of the old media into the new filter. How long until I can take out the old filter media? Thanks!

Personally I always leave it for at least a month. It always works for me. Just make sure it's touching your new media, as very little, if any, is free floating....

Hi thanks for the quick reply :) I was just wondering if I seeded it correctly? The old media is on the far right.

Is that the new media in the middle???

Yeah in the white thing in the middle is the new media. I could not salvage the pad from the old filter, so I added the biological media as a seed.

Yeah in the white thing in the middle is the new media. I could not salvage the pad from the old filter, so I added the biological media as a seed.

The bio media I added from the old filter is the white sponge on the far right (Its a little hard to see in the pic)

The bio media I added from the old filter is the white sponge on the far right (Its a little hard to see in the pic)
Yeah that'll do the job. You can squeeze the old filter pad onto the new media too. This will transfer some BB. Don't worry about any 'gunk' getting onto new media, that has some BB on it too.....

Yeah that'll do the job. You can squeeze the old filter pad onto the new media too. This will transfer some BB. Don't worry about any 'gunk' getting onto new media, that has some BB on it too.....

Im glad to hear that I did it right! I hope that the BB will transfer on the new pad and not send my tank into a new cycle! Anyway, thank you for the advice! One more question, after a month, I can take the old media out without losing alot of BB?

Im glad to hear that I did it right! I hope that the BB will transfer on the new pad and not send my tank into a new cycle! Anyway, thank you for the advice! One more question, after a month, I can take the old media out without losing alot of BB?
Do you need to re-use the old media or are you dumping it??

There's really no reason to take it out until it gets too clogged or falls apart. I always just fill up the available space with filter media.

I think it would be a good idea if I leave it in :) one question, should it be touching the new filter pad, or should it be with the bio media?

I think it would be a good idea if I leave it in :) one question, should it be touching the new filter pad, or should it be with the bio media?
If it's possible to have it touching the Bio Media, then that's preferable but if not, touching the filter pad will be fine. Both the pad and bio media will house BB....

If it's possible to have it touching the Bio Media, then that's preferable but if not, touching the filter pad will be fine. Both the pad and bio media will house BB....

I do have it touching the filter pad. Would it be best to put it with the bio media instead? There is room for it by the bio media.

I do have it touching the filter pad. Would it be best to put it with the bio media instead? There is room for it by the bio media.
Yeah, I'd put it with the bio media. Remember too, this pad can be used to help cycle numerous tanks. Simply do as you are doing now with anymore tanks you get and you will never have to wait for a tank to cycle from scratch.
I cycled a tank about 5yrs ago and have cycled about 10 tanks from that one tank.....

Yeah, I'd put it with the bio media. Remember too, this pad can be used to help cycle numerous tanks. Simply do as you are doing now with anymore tanks you get and you will never have to wait for a tank to cycle from scratch.
I cycled a tank about 5yrs ago and have cycled about 10 tanks from that one tank.....

I think I am going to leave it in :) I just checked and it doesn't seem to fit with the bio media, so I'm going to keep it by the filter pad :) I also notice that it makes a good pre-filter because the water goes to it first, then the pad.

Back
Top Bottom