How long til Molly fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a breeder box ready to go but not sure how close we are to show time. Any guesses?

image-3634337157.jpg

image-1397828750.jpg

Thoughts anyone? She's still fairly young, lil less than a year I think, so while she is not as big as older more experienced female mollies she could be pretty close based on her size (relative to her frame) and shape

Attachments

• image-4008050490.jpg
    image-4008050490.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 81
Here are the latest pics. When would you guys put her in the breeder box?

image-2097410118.jpg

image-1164804153.jpg

Well I keep mollies as well. This is about how they look when close to giving birth. They usually wait until the early morning hours to give birth. I usually just let my female give birth in the main tank and scoop a few out. The rest get eaten. It helps keep the population down. They breed like crazy! she looks pretty close I would say in the next few days. Also they start to look a little square in the tummy when they are close.

Dxbeast8508 said:
Well I keep mollies as well. This is about how they look when close to giving birth. They usually wait until the early morning hours to give birth. I usually just let my female give birth in the main tank and scoop a few out. The rest get eaten. It helps keep the population down. They breed like crazy! she looks pretty close I would say in the next few days. Also they start to look a little square in the tummy when they are close.

Thanks for the response. I've heard they breed like crazy too but have yet to ever see any fry in my main tank. I think they have gotten get eaten too quickly in the past. I've resigned to the fact that I'm likely not going to be there when she drops so I've put a bunch of javamoss in the tank and have started feeding 2x per day - maybe if the adults are feeling well fed they will leave the fry alone or at least long enough for me to rescue a few.

Yeah they get eat up pretty quickly. I have had a momma drop close to 40-50 fry and all but like 5-10 eaten by the time I wake up. It's like feeding frenzy in there. Good luck with your babies. If you keep an eye on her you will see when she is smaller and dropped them. Move around the plants and decorations you will see them they are tiny, they also like to hide down in the gravel. But scoop them quick, they will suck 'em up. Lol.

Man I'm just not sure what is going on .... Has she dropped fry yet or not? I check the javamoss plant 2x per day but dont find any fry. and she kinda looks big still, but then kinda not big in a way... What do u guys think vs the original pics in the post....Has she already dropped and now getting big for her next pregnancy or is this still the same and it could be any day now?

Once I know for sure a drop date (even if all fry get eaten) at least I could plan out / ahead for the next pregnancy and then start with the breeder net and she zeroes in on the due date.

Thoughts?

image-2832436215.jpg

image-4245227221.jpg

image-349869472.jpg

Did she ever drop her fry? She looked the same to me as before. You will def. know when has dropped them, she will be much smaller!

Dxbeast8508 said:
Did she ever drop her fry? She looked the same to me as before. You will def. know when has dropped them, she will be much smaller!

Not yet! I think. Waiting is tough!

Still nothing - belly looking round but alas I admit I have no clue if or when she will drop.

Back
Top Bottom