How long till you can cut plant ties?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristian Tombs

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just attached some java moss to some bogwood and I was wondering when u can cut the thread/string off that I used to attach it?

When the moss has grown enough to cling to the DW. Not always apparent, however. If you use very light test (thin) fishing line, it is almost invisible from the start and when the moss grows in you'd never know it was there.

When the moss has grown enough to cling to the DW. Not always apparent, however. If you use very light test (thin) fishing line, it is almost invisible from the start and when the moss grows in you'd never know it was there.

I use thread

Sometime black or brown thread will look less noticeable against the DW.
No idea how long it take the moss to take hold since I leave the string/line tied an let the moss grow over it.

Sometime black or brown thread will look less noticeable against the DW.
No idea how long it take the moss to take hold since I leave the string/line tied an let the moss grow over it.

Apparently thread dissolves in water after a month or two

Unless what you used to tie the moss is really unsightly, you don't have to remove it at all. The moss will grow over it in time and hide it all anyway. By then, if any is left, you can just use scissors to trim any that shows on the underside. I leave mine for at least a few months before I disturb them to see if they are attached.

Fish line is hard to see, thus disappears easily. Thread of some colours is also hard to see. As was said, cotton thread will dissolve over time, but polysester thread will take much, much longer to do that and is more likely to cut moss stems if tied too tightly. I prefer cotton thread, brown or dark green.

Unless what you used to tie the moss is really unsightly, you don't have to remove it at all. The moss will grow over it in time and hide it all anyway. By then, if any is left, you can just use scissors to trim any that shows on the underside. I leave mine for at least a few months before I disturb them to see if they are attached.

Fish line is hard to see, thus disappears easily. Thread of some colours is also hard to see. As was said, cotton thread will dissolve over time, but polysester thread will take much, much longer to do that and is more likely to cut moss stems if tied too tightly. I prefer cotton thread, brown or dark green.

Okay thanks I'm using white cotton thread atm because that was what was in the house

Back
Top Bottom