How long to keep water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trueerfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok guys here goes. I am brand new to the hobby. I have everything set up and ready to go. I ordered Live Rock and it should of been shipped tomorrow, unfortunately their supplier is out. My question is how long can I keep the water I made? It is in a 32 gallon trash can with powerhead and heater? The live rock should be here next Friday (11 days from now). I have base rock, should I wait or add the base rock and add the water and start the tank? Any help would be appreciated.

ForumRunner_20121023_203727.jpg

The water can sit in the bucket for a while as long as it is being circulated. If i were you i would just add half of the sand, then add the water to the tank. Wait to add the base rock because you will have to take it out anyways when your live rock comes so you can aquascape with it. Then once you have all the rock create a cool scape and then add the second half of sand so that the structure is secure.

SaltwaterNuB said:
That thing is so nice! Can't wait to see the finished product! Doesn't look like you're a beginner.

Just know a little bit about carpentry. Thanks for the compliment...

SaltwaterNuB said:
Do you pictures of inside the wall? What size tank is that?

Its a 75 gallon. I will post a pic later today of behind the wall.

If my city water has chlorimine, and i think my RO/DI does not remove it, should i treat the water? If so what should i treat it with?

Trueerfan said:
If my city water has chlorimine, and i think my RO/DI does not remove it, should i treat the water? If so what should i treat it with?

Mine has chlorimine as well. I use my RODI system then mix my salt and water in a 30 gallon trash can for a few days. I add some Kordon's AmQuel Plus and Novaqua. Some people like the Prime as well. I let it set for at least a day. If I didn't have the chlorimine I wouldn't add anything to the water but I'm a little scard not to because of it.

Thanks Nikki,

That's exactly what I did today. I looked at some filters to take it out, Expensive!!

Trueerfan said:
Thanks Nikki,

That's exactly what I did today. I looked at some filters to take it out, Expensive!!

Ya, you need an additional unit on the RO/DI to filter the Chloromine. When I bought my unit they weren't using it in the water. While people say you shouldn't add anything to the water, I'm guessing there are quite a few who do it and are successful with their set up. I used it years ago and have never had any issues then or now.

You're wasting time and money by adding anything to RO/DI water for chloramine unless you're testing ammonia in the RO/DI water and it's >0ppm. The only difference between a 'chloramine specific' RO/DI unit is the carbon block is bigger, or there's an extra carbon block. The membrane still filters out the ammonia and chlorine, there's just a better chance of burning holes in the membrane with the chloramine.

mfdrookie516 said:
You're wasting time and money by adding anything to RO/DI water for chloramine unless you're testing ammonia in the RO/DI water and it's >0ppm. The only difference between a 'chloramine specific' RO/DI unit is the carbon block is bigger, or there's an extra carbon block. The membrane still filters out the ammonia and chlorine, there's just a better chance of burning holes in the membrane with the chloramine.

Probably true! This is what I found regarding chloramine:

In recent years, water treatment plants have increasingly turned to chloramines as an alternative to chlorine. Chloramines are a combination of ammonia with chlorine. Unlike straight chlorine, which dissipates fairly quickly when exposed to air, chloramines remain in the water. That’s good for the company tasked with keeping public drinking water safe from contaminants such as bacteria. It’s not so good for those of us who keep fish and want to use our tap water to fill the aquarium.

First and foremost, it means the old trick of aging water in open buckets or in a tank with a filter running, won’t work anymore. You can age the water for days and the chloramines will still be there. Secondly, it means you must ensure that you treat the water for chloramines rather than for just chlorine. Not all aquarium water treatment products will neutralize the chloramines. Even those that advertize they do, aren’t always fully effective at the job, so choose your water treatment products carefully.

Back
Top Bottom