How long to wait before adding corals/mushrooms/leathers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganizzi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been running my tank since January FOWLR, and want to get started with some corals. How long do I have to wait before adding? I was thinking of going with the 9 for $99 at Jeffs Exotic. Is there any issue with adding 9 all at once, or should I add them only a couple at a time?

Looking to do this as cheaply as possible, but also want to do it right.

Here is a list of what I'm looking at getting - any comments?

- christmas tree
- watermelon mushroom
- brain coral
- bubble coral
- mushroom asst. color
- star green polyps
- button green polyps
- sand polyps
- finger leather

See my tank setup in my profile for lighting, tank size, etc.

Thanks!

Looking at your tank profile, I think you are at the bottom of the curve both in lbs of LR and flow. Not that what you have won't work, I just think your tank would benefit from another 20lbs or so of rock and maybe another powerhead. As far as the corals go, I don't see any problem adding them. I have read that the christmas tree rocks are dificult to keep. I have never had one though so I would have to defer to those who have...something you might want to look into further before buying one. My suggestion would be to stick with soft corals the first time around as they are so much more tolerant. JMHO.

I agree with loganj on the flow, and LR you should go with at least 1 1/2 lbs - 2 lbs of LR per gallon if you want corals. Get another Maxi Jet and you should be fine. Try placing them so that they meet somewhere in the middle. This will creat random currents.

Back
Top Bottom