How long will a 5 pound Co2 tank last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShaunRowley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How long will a 5 pound Co2 tank last at about 2 or 3 bubbles per second?

I've been having the same problem but I found a local welding shop near me that fills them up

Your tank will vary depending on your water, tank size, and bubble count. Making sure tight connections is also key, I learned this the hard way as a 10 lb lasted 6 weeks.

Some shops won't refill tanks as they are good for 5 yrs. They will swap them instead. Check with your local gas supplier; air gas and praxair are 2 that come to mind.

I would recommend a welding shop over a brewing store. At least in my area the brewing places have "food grade" co2 where the welding shops have "industrial" co2. It's a little cheaper and from what I was told makes no difference for aquariums or beer even.

My 5lb almost went a year on my 30g. Once i got the bps dialed in and a good reactor, it just sipped co2.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for they great tips. I have a tractor supply near me that sells welding equipment so I am going to see if they fill the tanks also.

Don't forget the use of the solenoid valve and a timer can prolong it as well.

Hey Brian. I have a 20 gallon that has a 24 oz. co2 tank with 3 bubbles per second and I leave it on 24/7. Should I be using a timer with that one? And I am getting ready to set up the co2 on my 125 gal. Do I need to use a timer on that one as well?

Hey Brian. I have a 20 gallon that has a 24 oz. co2 tank with 3 bubbles per second and I leave it on 24/7. Should I be using a timer with that one? And I am getting ready to set up the co2 on my 125 gal. Do I need to use a timer on that one as well?

Well, night co2 levels aside, you'll benefited from adding a solenoid in purely financial terms. You'll be using roughly a third less co2, assuming an 8h photoperiod. That means spending a third less on tank fills, which might be considerable at 3 bps on a 24oz tank. Whether or not the is an advantage to your tank in turning it of... probably not. The pressurized folks turn it off at night, DIY co2 leave it in. Both get good results without many side effects.

If you upgrade to a 125g, I would heavily advise getting a full co2 setup with a 5# tank. Any decent regulator should come with a solenoid if its designed for planted tank use.

Well, night co2 levels aside, you'll benefited from adding a solenoid in purely financial terms. You'll be using roughly a third less co2, assuming an 8h photoperiod. That means spending a third less on tank fills, which might be considerable at 3 bps on a 24oz tank. Whether or not the is an advantage to your tank in turning it of... probably not. The pressurized folks turn it off at night, DIY co2 leave it in. Both get good results without many side effects.

If you upgrade to a 125g, I would heavily advise getting a full co2 setup with a 5# tank. Any decent regulator should come with a solenoid if its designed for planted tank use.

Thanks aqua_chem.
I have the solenoids on my 20 gallon setup already. I could just plug it into a timer and be done.

I also have everything for the 125. I just need to get my 5# tank filled.

Back
Top Bottom