How long will live rock keep out of the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to have to move a few pounds of live rock from houston to austin but the live rock will have to sit wrapped in wet nespaper overnight in a cooler. What should I expect to lose?

Well, you can expect to have so die off, and you will have to cure the rock again.
Couldn't you just put enough water in the cooler to keep the rocks submerged? This would practically eliminate die off, and you could add the rocks to the receiving tank, without a hitch.

I've had my tank partially empty for a couple hours and all the coralline algae on the glass died, so I'd say around and hour out of water you'll start having a lot of critters die off of your live rock.

Flreefer said:
Well, you can expect to have so die off, and you will have to cure the rock again.
Couldn't you just put enough water in the cooler to keep the rocks submerged? This would practically eliminate die off, and you could add the rocks to the receiving tank, without a hitch.

+1 keep them completely submerged if its gonna be that long

Crepe said:
I'm going to have to move a few pounds of live rock from houston to austin but the live rock will have to sit wrapped in wet nespaper overnight in a cooler. What should I expect to lose?

Wrapping it in wet paper will be fine yes youll have some dieoff but just rinse the dieoff in saltwater before adding back to your tank ive had rock set out dry for couple weeks added it back to my tank and starpolyps began to grow which is what was on the rock when i took it out

Not sure if too late but wet newspaper is very hard to get off rocks. Maybe towels instead??

Yes highly suggest keeping submerged especially when they have to go back into an established tank.

Back
Top Bottom