How long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thatfishfreak91

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been cycle my tank for about 2 weeks it had 36 fish but only 12 remain
I added some quick start by API in it about 3 days ago how long well it take from here to finish cycling my tank
Ps there's some green algae growing on the the rocks about the size of three one dollar bills and some other form of algae growing that's yellow and it's growing every where (idk what it is)

I have been cycle my tank for about 2 weeks it had 36 fish but only 12 remain
I added some quick start by API in it about 3 days ago how long well it take from here to finish cycling my tank
Ps there's some green algae growing on the the rocks about the size of three one dollar bills and some other form of algae growing that's yellow and it's growing every where (idk what it is)
Can you give some more info on tank size, fish and water changes??

They are bait fish about 2 inches long and it's a 55 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump and I have done water changes two times

In regards to the algae . . . How long are your tank lights on? If more than 8 hrs per day you might try reducing the light time. Mine are on for only 8 hrs & it's been keeping the algae at bay.

Well it's a 24 hour lighting system
LEDs at 8 8
Blues at 8 to 8
whites 10 6

So the lights are on at 8am going until 8pm? Or are they on from 8am to 8am?

If you are having green algae there is too much light and too many nutrients in the tank. Try reducing the light down to 6-8 hours a day at max.

Have you ever tested your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? Also, have you ever changed the water?

Why use bait fish?

They were cheap and 8 am to 8 pm or vise versa
Levels are pH 8.0 (yes I know it's high) Ammonia 1.5 (yes, I know this is high but last week it was 4.0 yikes) nitrite 0 ppm and nitrate 0 ppm
The green algae is not growing like the yellow stuff
The yellow stuff seams to be every where and it grows really fast! I clean the inside of the glass this morning and it's already back!

They were cheap and 8 am to 8 pm or vise versa
Levels are pH 8.0 (yes I know it's high) Ammonia 1.5 (yes, I know this is high but last week it was 4.0 yikes) nitrite 0 ppm and nitrate 0 ppm
The green algae is not growing like the yellow stuff
The yellow stuff seams to be every where and it grows really fast! I clean the inside of the glass this morning and it's already back!

Your tank isnt cycled yet. Id definitely do an immediate 50% water change wait 6 hours and do another test and iff ammo is above .50ppm do another 50% water change

The yellow stuff is diatoms which are almost always present in new tanks. They are self limiting and will go away on their own as soon as the excess silicates in the water are used up. If you don't want as many and to get the green algae under control you should only run your lights 6 hours daily. You can run the moon lights however long you want. If you continue to run your lights as you are now expect the diatoms to continue growing heavily.

The reason your fish are dying is due to high ammonia. When doing a fish in cycle your suppose to check ammonia, nitrite, nitrate daily and do a WC whenever ammonia or nitrites get above .25ppm. You really need to read and follow this article.... I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice. Cycling doesn't happen in a week or two but usually takes several.

so you basically bought 36 fish to sacrifice to get your tank cycled? tisk..tisk.. you could have just gotten a piece of shrimp from supermarket and put it in the tank to cycle it .

Back
Top Bottom