How low is my low light? Compatible plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylorodw

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 30 gal long tank with a 20 watt light, for a WPG of 0.666666666666 etc. (lol).

Is it even worth it to pursue planting at this light level? If so, what are good, fairly available plants for background, midground, and foreground? My tank is only about a foot in width so I don't have much room front-to-back, but I've got 4 feet of lateral space to play with.

I would really like something that flowers (low light anubias? I don't know), and some plants of contrasting colors. Plants that grow like weeds would not be the most preferable.

Also, at this light level, is there a big difference between complete, nutrient-rich substrates, and inert substrates with root tabs?

I don't want to go CO2.

Thanks for any advice!

might be bale to get away with anubias java fern crypt or moss right under the light. have you thought about upgrading to cfl bulbs?

might be bale to get away with anubias java fern crypt or moss right under the light. have you thought about upgrading to cfl bulbs?

Would I need a new fixture for CFL bulbs?

Java fern sounds awesome - right up my alley as I plan to have fish that will disturb plants - and looks great. However, since its roots are exposed to water, would I need to dose with fertilizers?

As far as Anubias, are they just sold as Anubia or would I have to find a specific kind?

Thanks so much!

What kind of light you have? If it is an incandescent light, you can swap that with CFL bulbs. A fluorescent fixture cannot be upgraded by just swapping bulbs. You need a new ballast & possibly new end cap. <Most just go for an upgrade kit that will fit in your canopy.>

In very low light, there is no need for any nutrient substrate. <And Java ferns or anubias don't even root in substrate ... they have rhizomes that attaches to rocks or driftwood.> Nor do you need root tabs or ferts. The plants are growing so slowly that they are fine with just the fish waste.

The best plant in such low light would be Java fern. There are many species of Anubias, but I think they need a bit better light to grow. <And anubias are expensive .... so prob. should try java ferns/moss first.>

Okay, I have been reading on PlantGeek and I think I want:

Java Fern
Anubias Nana
Java Moss

Could I plant them while my tank cycles? Or would they die from lack of nutrients (no fish to poop on them)?

I am considering cycling the tank with filter media from a cycled tank and my betta fish, as he desperately needs his own space to begin with. Would this work?

Low light plants generally do not need a lot of nutrients to survive. They may not exhibit much growth with lower nutrient levels (and your low light), but they should survive. They will suck up some of the ammonia you add (I assume with no fish you are doing a fishless cycle?). If you add a bunch of plants, along with filter media and 1 fish, it should be a pretty quick cycle. If you go that route, just keep an eye on ammonia/nitrite levels.

I have a 30 gal long tank with a 20 watt light, for a WPG of 0.666666666666 etc. (lol).

Is it even worth it to pursue planting at this light level? If so, what are good, fairly available plants for background, midground, and foreground? My tank is only about a foot in width so I don't have much room front-to-back, but I've got 4 feet of lateral space to play with.

I would really like something that flowers (low light anubias? I don't know), and some plants of contrasting colors. Plants that grow like weeds would not be the most preferable.

Also, at this light level, is there a big difference between complete, nutrient-rich substrates, and inert substrates with root tabs?

I don't want to go CO2.

Thanks for any advice!

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]With the incandescent lighting you can try to grow hardy low-light plants only: anubias, java ferns, java moss, cryptocorynes, maybe some bunch plants - hygrophila polysperma, wisteria, anacharis, hornwort. :)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]With the incandescent lighting you can try to grow hardy low-light plants only: anubias, java ferns, java moss, cryptocorynes, maybe some bunch plants - hygrophila polysperma, wisteria, anacharis, hornwort. :)[/FONT]

There are several groups of plants that thrive in low light: Aponogetons, Cryptocorynes, Anubias, and aquatic ferns. I strongly recommend Apnogetons. I have found that they grow vigorously under fairly low light. Apnogetons are also attractive and inexpensive. They are often sold as "bulbs," frequently under the name "Betta Bulbs." These "bulbs" are actually rhizomes, not true bulbs like tulips. Aponogetons do not grow well in the extremely hard water I have locally. I have raised them in bottled water. One web page said they grew in soft and medium hard water.
In the very hard water from our tap Cryptocorynes work best. They are much slower growing than Apnogetons, but given time they do well. Cryptocorynes are also attractive.
Anubias are especially beautiful, more expensive than most aquatic plants, grow slowly, but it is said they can survive very low light conditions.
Aquatic ferns often do well in low light. Two of them are very popular. First, the Java Fern, a hardy low light plant, but ugly. Second, Java Moss is also a fern. It makes a good spawning medium, and protection for baby fish. Survives low light well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom