how many adult south american cichlids can fit happily in a 150 square tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TiffanyFinatic1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ive had a hunch becuz im at a 55g now with two raphael cats and a pleco which is 11in and a jack dempsey and a cobalt blue and a auratus and a kenyi and all are adult cichlids

Attachments

• image-3848820142.jpg
    image-3848820142.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 196
The cobalt blue, auratus and a kenyi are all Malawi. And should not be housed with the Jack Dempsey.

What are the dimensions of a 150 square, are we talking square feet, inches, centimeters, or milimeters?

But as stated cichlids from Lake Malawi have different diet and aggression levels, it's best not to mix lakes unless you have experience keeping aggressive fish, a very large tank helps, and a plan B tank for when it all goes south.

Last edited:
i kno i am just waiting till i can afford a larger tank for the africans and the 150 is gonna before the south americans its a female tho and shows no signs of agression can i keep her in there if she is not a threat tho?

also it is a 150g that is a square and has about 6-10 square feet and i have owned cichlids or argessive fish for 13 years and i have not lost a single fish to over feeding dirty tank ect... so im pretty good with the knoledge i have just never owned a huge tank and would like to kno if i could try to house a JD with the africans in much larger tank 3'X3'X3'

Anything is possible when it comes to indivdual fish personalities but as a whole it generally does not work long term. Their diet can be overcome by feeding a quality pellet like NLS or Omega One so the real issue boils down to aggresstion, the only way to know for sure to try it but have a back up plan waiting(cycled tank ready to go at a moments notice) and go from there. If your familar with these fish like you said then you should already know the general answer is no it will not work.

Sorry I forgot to welcome you to Aquarium Advice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom