How many cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Tiger Barbs should also be in a larger group too either 6 or 8, otherwise you could find they will nip the fins of your other fish.

Why do they nip in small groups but not in larger? Seems like the bigger the group the more confident and aggressive they would be.? Just curious :) Also, LFS guy told me silver dollars can be alone, so that's kind of disappointing that I have to make another trip back. Oh well!

Why do they nip in small groups but not in larger? Seems like the bigger the group the more confident and aggressive they would be.? Just curious :) Also, LFS guy told me silver dollars can be alone, so that's kind of disappointing that I have to make another trip back. Oh well!

When they are in a small groups they don't have enough friends to pick on, so they nip at other fish. If you have a big enough group they have enough to pick on eachother, as they prefer.

When they are in a small groups they don't have enough friends to pick on, so they nip at other fish. If you have a big enough group they have enough to pick on eachother, as they prefer.

Interesting. Thanks a ton!
Well, I went and picked up 1 more silver dollar. I wanted a few more but that was the last one at my LFS. He sure is happier in my tank than all alone! I also picked up 4 more tiger barbs- but I got green ones. They quickly found their regular tiger barb friends and are happy. However, one of the regular tigers is being left behind and appears to have a bitten lip...? He has a white flappy piece of skin hanging off his mouth and it looks red, and the other barbs want nothing to do with him. Are they establishing their pecking order? I hope the little guy makes it through the night :-(

Again, my 55g tank is stocked with:
1x Pleco (3.5")
1 baby firemouth
4x tiger barbs
4x green tiger barbs
3x silver dollars

Interesting. Thanks a ton!
Well, I went and picked up 1 more silver dollar. I wanted a few more but that was the last one at my LFS. He sure is happier in my tank than all alone! I also picked up 4 more tiger barbs- but I got green ones. They quickly found their regular tiger barb friends and are happy. However, one of the regular tigers is being left behind and appears to have a bitten lip...? He has a white flappy piece of skin hanging off his mouth and it looks red, and the other barbs want nothing to do with him. Are they establishing their pecking order? I hope the little guy makes it through the night :-(

Again, my 55g tank is stocked with:
1x Pleco (3.5")
1 baby firemouth
4x tiger barbs
4x green tiger barbs
3x silver dollars

I don't know. If you have a qt tank put it in there. If not just try to keep the water clean.

Be didn't make it :-(

Came home to this a few days ago :-(

Attachments

• image-2998990619.jpg
    image-2998990619.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 68
Ouch, that hurt. It happens, as long as there is no disease it's not the end of the world. You could do a couple of full grown gourami, or a festivum.

Ouch, that hurt. It happens, as long as there is no disease it's not the end of the world. You could do a couple of full grown gourami, or a festivum.

That's a good idea.

Other fish are healthy and water parameters are good. Not too worried about disease. I think he was picked on for being little, hence the missing lip. From there he was unable to eat and I think e just died.

I'm still perplexed as to which of my fish took a bite out of him :-(

Back
Top Bottom