How many fancy goldfish in a 38 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gemach7, thanks for that info it's a big help! I appreciate you taking the time.

When I said fancy I meant black moors, fantails, ryukins, orandas, etc. I'll probably do 2 black moors, 1 or 2 ryukins, and a fantail (or something along those lines). I'm aware the black moors will have a harder time getting the food but I'll account for that and make sure they do.

As for the filter, what type would you say is best? From what I've read, you have to find a balance between filtration ability and the current it produces. What would be best for this tank (canister, power filter, etc.)?

Canister is usually the best filtration for big tanks and for fishes who produce lots of waste.

Get a Bristlenose Pleco or Clown Pleco (Panaque maccus L104) or 2 or 3. 74F will work for both

A Fluval fx-5 or the newer 6

3 fancies or doing the appropriate % of pwc 2x per week - 4 fancy GF

Use Prime.

Make sure there are no things the GF can poke their eyes on or rip their fins on.

Make sure there is DW for the Plecos they are the smaller ones preferably 2 F - 1 M.

Consider looking into an auto water changer.

check out this sticky thread
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Last edited:
Don't get a pleco with two fancy goldfish. A Hugh bioload and plecos are unpredictable and can suck slime coat off fancy goldfish. 2fancies Max in a 38gallon and you will have to eventually upgrade

Sent from my Harrier Mini from EE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I can get a 38g tank, filter, and stand for $220, plus another filter puts me at somewhere between $250 and $275. If I buy a 55gal, the tank, stand, filter, etc. will cost me closer to $400-450.

So I just want to know if it's acceptable to keep two fancys in a 38g tank? And if its also acceptable to put a pleco in there as well? (Not considering filtration - just tank size).

It's not big enough for a pleco as well. Don't do it. 2fancies will be OK. Although 40gallons is recommended 38 will suffice for now. Up to 8inches they should grow.

I'm shocked people on here are saying its OK to have 2fancies in with a pleco in a 38gallon. Guys its no way big enough.

I know one of those gigantic plecos would be out of the question, but I think a bristlenose should be ok.
Their max length is 6".
Like goldfish, they produce a lot of waste, but the tank already needs frequent water changes.
I am cycling a 3' 30 gallon tank. My plan is for 2 fancies & a bristlenose.
I will do @ least a 25% water change each week, cleaning the gravel @ the same time. I have a filter designed for a 70 gallon & a 38" bubble diffuser.
I have had this same set up in the past, but dismantled my aquarium when I had to move. I took the fish back to my lps. Up till that point, things had been going well for years.
I don't recommend this if you are not diligent. The tank has do be kept very clean.

I know one of those gigantic plecos would be out of the question, but I think a bristlenose should be ok.
Their max length is 6".
Like goldfish, they produce a lot of waste, but the tank already needs frequent water changes.
I am cycling a 3' 30 gallon tank. My plan is for 2 fancies & a bristlenose.
I will do @ least a 25% water change each week, cleaning the gravel @ the same time. I have a filter designed for a 70 gallon & a 38" bubble diffuser.
I have had this same set up in the past, but dismantled my aquarium when I had to move. I took the fish back to my lps. Up till that point, things had been going well for years.
I don't recommend this if you are not diligent. The tank has do be kept very clean.

2fancies would be stunted in a 30gallon no? I have a 119gallon with 6fancies and I do 50% weekly water changes. If you intend to go ahead. I would do at least 50% water changes bigger the better. And go bare bottom tank or large pebbles so 1. Waste doesn't get trapped 2. Fancies won't get gravel stuck in their mouths. I would go for a large canister filter with a small internal for aeration and extra filtration.

Hey peeps, thanks for the replies.

I have not yet purchased the 38g but I'm reluctant to go any higher due to the prices of stands & aquariums passed that point. As I said, I'm fine with dealing with the filtration (getting another filter, more frequent water changes, I don't mind), I just want to make sure they have enough room.

If I just had the two fancy goldfish and nothing else, would the 38g be big enough for them in adulthood?

The 38gallon would just suffice for two 8inch fancies. It's two gallons of minimum recommended size. But more swimming space the better so ideally upgrade to 55 for the two later in life.

Thank you everyone for you help! I just bought a 55 gal in the $1 per gallon sale so they will have plenty of room!

Sorry just saw this. Great 2 fancies only will do well in a 55g.

Guys sorry to be a pain should have read whole thread first

Thank you everyone for you help! I just bought a 55 gal in the $1 per gallon sale so they will have plenty of room!

I'm so glad to here you got a bigger tank! Only thing you may learn to hate about it is its depth. As you grow your hobby you will want a tank that's deeper giving growing fish more room to turn and for more room to aquascape. This tank will be good for a year or two.

Let talk about your setup plans next. Filtration and cycle setup.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

On a 55g gold fish tank, in would go with a good canister (fluval 406) and a big HOB (AC110).
But as suggested by another member, fluval fx5/fx6 will do a nice job.

Hey guys, so I was searching the forums and it looks like I can put 4-5 in the 55gal (correct me if I'm wrong).

In terms of filtration, I didn't want to spend over $100 so I was thinking two HOB power filters (350gph each - to make sure I'm well over the 550gph goal). Possibly marineland's bio wheel penguin 350. The canisters looked like the cost more for much less gph.

Thoughts?

Check Craigslist. You'd be surprised to find very cheap canisters.

I don't like most of the HOBs out there as they are not customisable.

Do get a AC110. That does 500gph and is 75$ on Amazon right now. You can start with this and perhaps get a 2nd one or a canister later on.

Hey guys, so I was searching the forums and it looks like I can put 4-5 in the 55gal (correct me if I'm wrong).

In terms of filtration, I didn't want to spend over $100 so I was thinking two HOB power filters (350gph each - to make sure I'm well over the 550gph goal). Possibly marineland's bio wheel penguin 350. The canisters looked like the cost more for much less gph.

Thoughts?

Canister filters have less gph because they require less. The GPH ratings on HOB filters is for the pump alone before it passes through any filter media. The process of drawing water up though a siphon hose. Over to the media basket and through the media a 550 gph pump is really probably only delivering about 150-200. Canister filters are pressurized by the act of moving water at speed into a fully sealed system with a small inlets and outlets allowing for less gph with same return in GPH of a higher gph HoB filter. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok so just to clarify what gph should I be looking for with a canister filter to put in a 55g with 4-5 fancy goldfish?

I would look at what aquarium size the filter is rated for and you want 2 HOB filters rated for 50 gallons each or one for 110 with possible future purchase of a second if waste is building up.

In my winter grow out tank for koi(larger carp species but applicable) I use 2 fluval c3's on a 40b. The tank is bare bottom and I use only floating plants cause all carp species are root eaters. But the plants help keep the nitrate down between water changes for the month or so the fish are in this tank they are then put into an outdoor pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom