How many Fish for a 55g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys starting the cycling process soon and I am trying to get an idea on how many fish am I able to add to a 55g tank....??? I know your suppose to do a little at a time but just for future reference so in a year or so when everything should be in good shape I don't go adding fish and over load? I'll take your comment and suggestion....

Thanks

;)

Will this be a FOWLR or a FO or a mixed reef?
What type do you have in mind know?

well im starting with just a FOWLR for now but i'll add coral more later in the future more like summer time next year....

In a reef tank think of fish as the enemy. You want fish that will help with water quality and not add your maintance to keep water quality high. Get smaller less aggresive fish. Feeding the fish does feed the coral so fish are helpfull.

Fish do put a larger bio load but coral put little bio load. I always start with a few CUC then wait and add a fish or coral then wait and a few more CUC and wait and add fish and or coral. This lets you learn there needs and lets you customize your CUC and coral placement.

In a 55 i say 5 or 6 smaller fish or 2 or 3 larger fish. Reef type fish need more room .

Keep in mind it will also make a difference if you have a good quality skimmer and a fuge to help keep your water levels more stable. I always think that a few more smaller fish looks better then just a few larger fish. I would look at gobys, blennies, clowns, wrasse, anthias, maybe a couple dart fish or cardinals. There are also some colorful psudochromis but they tent to get territorial so i was try to add one of those last if your going to. Dwarf angels are nice and active swimmers but you take a chance with most of them picking at softies. Some will never touch your corals others will terrorize a reef and have to be removed. If you stay with smaller fish i would guess 6-8. Just make sure you add real slow.

yes you can they help clean your tank i wouldnt go too over board i bought 10 little hermits for my 40 gal and they seem to be doing a fine job.

I find it easier to pick what I want to add in my tank and post that list, so we can help you decide what will be a good fit.

Hey I made a List for now check it out see what you think Re-shape it if you want to or Suggestion It's going to be a FOWLR for now so no Coral or Anemone just yet...... But let me know if it's to much and if the fish are to aggressive or they just can't be in the same tank together.....
Thanks

1Flame Angel
1Ocellaris Clownfish
1Green Mandarinfish
1Spotted Cardinal
1Humu Humu / Picasso Triggerfish
10 Red Leg Hermit Crabs
2Cleaner Shrimp
(Lysmata amboinensis)
1 Lawnmower Blenny
2 Emerald Crabs OR 2 Sally Lightfoot Crabs

I would skip the Mandarin (needs lots of pods or will starve), the triggerfish (needs 70G and will eat your inverts), lawnmower blenny (will starve without a natural food source..mostly algae and hair algae).
If you plan on doing corals, the flame angel may eat them.
I would go with an emerald crab, skip the sally lightfoot.
I would also get fewer hermits (just my preference) and go with a bristlestar (not the green ones) nassarius, cerith and margarita snails.
Cleaner shrimp are great you can add a fire shrimp too.
Personally, I like the pistol shrimp goby combo.

sallylight foots can gt far to bold and if the opportunity is given the will eat your fish, ,as wellas the green brittle star. i agree with roka64 on th pistol shrimp goby combo, it is very interesting. you could even consider getting a pair of clowns.

Ooooh, nice, Mcluett, I forgot to add that! Clowns are one of my favs!

i love the clowns, i got my two on order now and am just waiting for them to come in at the LFS. they can be very personable and add alot to a tank, not to mention the are very peaceful.

Thanks guys I was thinking A Black and White Clown and the more Popular Clown...

be careful i am not sure if the black and white false percs and the orange false percs will pair up and that can mean lots of fighting. roka64 may know more about that then me.

Yeah, you may not want to add two different kinds. It's way cooler to see them pair up (same species) and they might breed.

Back
Top Bottom