How many goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babakapusta

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to have goldfish. I like them. I always keep 3-4 in a large tank. They generally do well but eventually die around the age of 5-6.

Can you keep one goldfish well or do they prefer company? I know that I'm anthropomorphising them thinking that one wouldn't be happy. After all the Chinese have been keeping them singly in small bowls for centuries.

So would one goldie be happy by himself or do the prefer other goldfish with them?

In my opinion, if you give the fish lots of attention, then yes, you can keep it by itself.
Most people would probably say 2 is better, which is probably true. But you need the space for them.

Do u like fancy goldfish, or common/comet goldfish?
Also, how big is your tank?

What sized tank? And they should be living at least 15 years in a well set up aquarium, I like having multiple ones

I've had 20 tanks and broken all but two down. I have anything from a 40 down to a 5 gallon that I can use.

I like moors and shubunkins and maybe fantails. I've done fairly well with orandas and ryukins but if I had my druthers I'd have a huge tank with koi. That's impossible though and I don't have anywhere for a pond so, I have to stick with goldies.

I like feeder goldies. I feel like I'm saving a life.

After all the Chinese have been keeping them singly in small bowls for centuries.

This is a HORRIBLE myth that has been passed down through the centuries. Goldfish were in fact revered in ancient China and Japan. Only the noble and wealthy were allowed to own them. When an esteemed guest came to visit, a prize fish was removed from its pond and placed in a bowl for everyone to admire. It was then placed back in its pond afterwards. Fish were never raised or kept in bowls and to this day, almost all goldfish are still raised in ponds in these countries. Unfortunately, this ridiculous notion of a 'goldfish in a bowl' is still believed by most people.

In respect to keeping goldfish, what exactly do you have in mind? Breed? Tank size? Some more info will help us to help you better!

I told you I have up to a 40 gallon depending on how many I get. I'm not sure on the breed. Maybe a couple of moors. I want to know how many I should get to make them happy. I won't get them if I have to get so many I don't have a tank for them.

I've kept them before. Usually 3 in a 40 gallon tank with more than adequate filtration

I'm an old lady and have been keeping fish for years. Currently I have a 125 gallon tank that has been running with the same fish since 2000. I just set up another with an eel and a lizard fish. 40 gallons. When they are large enough I will move them into the 125. Right now the eel would be eaten before he hit the bottom of the tank.

I'm asking because I've always had 3. If I can keep one happy in a 20 long then I might consider that. Lots of plants, sand substrate is usual.

I tend to understock my tanks not over stock them. I'm a newbie on this website but I've posted on others at the turn of the century when I was new. My husband was ill and I broke down a lot of tanks and got rid of my fish. Now, that God, he is better and I am setting a few up again. 3 will be my limit.

I told you I have up to a 40 gallon depending on how many I get. I'm not sure on the breed. Maybe a couple of moors. I want to know how many I should get to make them happy. I won't get them if I have to get so many I don't have a tank for them.

I've kept them before. Usually 3 in a 40 gallon tank with more than adequate filtration

This explains why your past fish did not live long. Moors grow huge very quickly. A single moor in a 40g will likely live a longer life though with proper care, you can expect him to outgrow a 40g possibly in under two years. A single fish will be happy by itself, too.

How big do they usually get? Mine has gotten about the size of a handball which I thought was pretty good.

If one fish needs more than a 40 gallon, I'll get something else instead.

Back
Top Bottom