How many more litres/gallons do I need!????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

applepip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have now been given fish through friends and my mums work colleges 3 times now, due to them getting rid of their tanks/the fish not getting on etc, but the last time I did this there was actually more fish than the woman said on the phone, and they were quite a lot bigger than she described, so Im afraid to say my tank is now (quite badly) overstocked, especially as I know a lot of the fish will grow. (I couldnt turn the fish away as 1. She was at my door with them in a plastic sack, 2. she was having to move very quickly and if I hadnt taken them she would have given them to my local "pets at home" store which I know is TERRIBLE for looking after fish - they actually try and sell them to you with obvious diseases! and overall are really bad for fish so I would have basically been condemning them to die)
So! Ive had all my fish in my 130L tank for about 3 months now (couldnt get a tank sooner due to money issues) with (thankfully) no problems, and they all seem happy and healthy enough, I check on them daily, do weekly level checks, and fortnightly water changes. But, I know I am overstocked and know a lot of them will grow, so am looking into buying another tank, but I dont know what size I will need/how many depending on size. If anyone could help me out by telling me how many more litres/gallons each of my fish need/how many more litres I need overall then I would be SO appreciative as I know I desperately need a new tank! :/
I have.. (brace yourself its a lot!! :( ) (all sizes are approximate)
2 pearl gourami - both 4"
2 blue gourami - both 3.5"
1 golden gourami - 3.5"
2 pink kissing gourami - 1 is 3" the other 4.5"
1 bala shark - 4"
1 sailfin pleco - 6"
1 high fin pleco - 9"
1 misc pleco - 2"
4 kitty tetra - each 1.5"
5 red phantom tetra - each 0.5"
5 botia sidthimunki - each 1.5"
1 panda corydora - 1"
2 swordtails - 1.5"
2 flying foxes - both 2.5"
4 platy - each 1"

I have now been given fish through friends and my mums work colleges 3 times now, due to them getting rid of their tanks/the fish not getting on etc, but the last time I did this there was actually more fish than the woman said on the phone, and they were quite a lot bigger than she described, so Im afraid to say my tank is now (quite badly) overstocked, especially as I know a lot of the fish will grow. (I couldnt turn the fish away as 1. She was at my door with them in a plastic sack, 2. she was having to move very quickly and if I hadnt taken them she would have given them to my local "pets at home" store which I know is TERRIBLE for looking after fish - they actually try and sell them to you with obvious diseases! and overall are really bad for fish so I would have basically been condemning them to die)
So! Ive had all my fish in my 130L tank for about 3 months now (couldnt get a tank sooner due to money issues) with (thankfully) no problems, and they all seem happy and healthy enough, I check on them daily, do weekly level checks, and fortnightly water changes. But, I know I am overstocked and know a lot of them will grow, so am looking into buying another tank, but I dont know what size I will need/how many depending on size. If anyone could help me out by telling me how many more litres/gallons each of my fish need/how many more litres I need overall then I would be SO appreciative as I know I desperately need a new tank! :/
I have.. (brace yourself its a lot!! :( ) (all sizes are approximate)
2 pearl gourami - both 4"
2 blue gourami - both 3.5"
1 golden gourami - 3.5"
2 pink kissing gourami - 1 is 3" the other 4.5"
1 bala shark - 4"
1 sailfin pleco - 6"
1 high fin pleco - 9"
1 misc pleco - 2"
4 kitty tetra - each 1.5"
5 red phantom tetra - each 0.5"
5 botia sidthimunki - each 1.5"
1 panda corydora - 1"
2 swordtails - 1.5"
2 flying foxes - both 2.5"
4 platy - each 1"

Not to step on others toes, but adding up the inches, especially the high fin pleco, which I believe gets even bigger, I would say that you need around 150 gallon. There are some fish that need to be added because they get along better in numbers - ex. panda cory. Your flying foxes alone with get to be 6 inches each and they get just a bit territorial. Honestly, I would research each fish looking for their length at full growth, are they omnivore, carnivore, or such. Also if they are aggressive or territorial. Also check the temperatures that each fish does the best in. If I had your list, I would pick what I liked the best and work around them. But you really need a bigger tank! Hope this helps a bit.

Honestly I'd look at getting a 75G and rehoming the Bala and the Plecos (Not sure about the Misc Pleco obviously).

Alternatively I don't think a 150G will be enough long term with all those plecos so I'd be looking around 200G if not more.

Back
Top Bottom