How many of you have successfully treated a sick fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just curious what the success rate is like when treating fish with bacterial or fungal infections and diseases.

Most threads I read end with the fish dying... Hoping to hear some good recovery stories. I will go first.

I had a cardinal tetra that I wasn't able to diagnose with anything BUT he had a sunken stomach and colour was faded a bit. His breathing was also faster than other cardinals.

This fish showed these signs for at least a month, eat a bit but never much, wasn't very active but still stayed with the group. I ended up just providing 2x 50% wc weekly and symptoms are all gone now.

Another situation with a lethargic pearl gourmai male (approx 1.5 years old). Symptoms were, little bit of faded colour, loss of appetite, and lethargic. I wasan't able to diagnose with anything with this fish either.

I did treat the main tank with prazipro for full duration but no improvement till about 2weeks after. During that time I increased water changes to 2x weekly @ 50%. He is now active and eating like normal, colour is good too :)

I always test for nitrates and never seems to be higher than 20 and mostly sits are 5-10 but yet I feel like maybe these numbers are not true. I can't explain why only a few fish in my tank showed signs of something while 50+ were perfectly fine.

All is good now though. Please share your success stories.

I'm not a big fan of medications at all. Most of the time I don't even use them as a last resort. I always opt for water changes.

Personally I've had very little luck with meds and I believe most of the time they do more harm than good.

Having days the, meds in the UK are a little tame since a lot of the stuff containing antibiotics you need a prescription for.

No happy stories from me I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I treated an entire tank of guppies that were about 3-4 months old after me and my wife went to move the tank and it cracked and sent guppies all over the floor. Many had body wounds shreaded tails ect. Using methyelene blue solution in their water, salt, and feeding Terramycin (oxytetracycline) I was able to save them all. Did not loose one single guppy. That's why I LOVE those two meds together and salt. Together, they can cure anything except ick or worms. being a guppy hobbyist for years has taught me a great deal about fish diseases, and I like to think that there isn't anything I cant cure. Im always trolling the unhealthy fish section of this forum and ive been thanked a thousand times for helping people with sick fish. yes, its not always gonna work, sometimes their just too weak or too far gone or too old. But 90% of the time I can cure a fish of whatever ailment it has! Guppies throw any and every disease at you, and you HAVE to use medicines if you want to have any success with them. Some people say water water water, I say, a dead fish needs no water!

Saved 20 of 21 neon tetras from ich, the one I lost wasn't showing any signs of ich do i think he died from the stress of the heat

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom