How many plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
How many plants should I buy for my 45 gal long tank? I'm going to be ordering online but need a minimum order of $100 I found someone else who is setting up a 55 gal and has a 26 gal as well. Here is my plant list that I wish to have:

Corkscrew val
Crytocoryne becketti "petchii"
Penny wort
Red flame sword
Anubia barteri var. nana
Hydrophilia corymbosa var 'stricta'
Dwarf sage
Rotala Rotunfoilia

I may end up buying a few random lowlight plants if I have to make the $100 lol

I use a lot of anbias and attach it to my driftwood and random rocks etc. I think I have 5 in my 20 gallon tank, and a bunch of other plants. I would order several crypts also. Will the sword be your center piece plant?

I use a lot of anbias and attach it to my driftwood and random rocks etc. I think I have 5 in my 20 gallon tank, and a bunch of other plants. I would order several crypts also. Will the sword be your center piece plant?

Tbh I'm not sure at all what I want to do aha. Was thinking of a wall of corkscrew on the back but still not sure i have some large pieces of driftwood as well but not too sure where I want them yet or what ones I want to use. Ill attach a photo of the two large pieces.

Attachments

• image-1437728082.jpg
    image-1437728082.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 54
  • image-116692383.jpg
    image-116692383.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 54
I think you would like the Anubias, there are different kinds and leaf shapes and sizes. Someone else said Temple plant is an awesome plant, how about some Christmas moss.

You may want to chose several of your favorite kinds to create a nice design plan.

Make sure all of your plants have similar light requirements so you can be successful as possible.

I thought about doing a Willow moss wall but ill save that for another time. I plan on dosing PPS-Pro and using excel. I intend on keeping light requirements as close as possible. I may just order a bunch of plants I do have a 15 gal I can plant as well. Plus I can always sell the plants.

Do you think sword plants are a good option? I can sell you a few little amazon sword plantlets my big swords are producing...I also have some corkscrew vals but not right now...

Moss attached to the driftwood would be nice. I never really tried growing moss so I am not sure about it.

I have grown java moss, Christmas moss, and I'm growing fissidens fontanus on my DW in my 60g right now. It's quite easy, you just tie the moss on it with some thread (cotton) and after a month or so the thread should just disintegrate and the moss should be attached by then. Looks really nice when it's attached and grown on well :)

a sword center piece would be nice. How big does the red flame sword get?

I'll have to get ahold of some moss!

I like the driftwood you selected. It has character. I need a taller piece of driftwood for my tank. Where did you get yours?

Last edited:
Do you think sword plants are a good option? I can sell you a few little amazon sword plantlets my big swords are producing...I also have some corkscrew vals but not right now...

I don't plan on having too many swords I don't think. I also live in Canada so I'm not too sure how shipping would be. Thanks for the offer though!

a sword center piece would be nice. How big does the red flame sword get?

I'll have to get ahold of some moss!

I like the driftwood you selected. It has character. I need a taller piece of driftwood for my tank. Where did you get yours?

I actually found all the driftwood in my backyard. My mom has collected a few pieces from her hikes down along the river. Here are two other pieces. The last four are of the same piece.

Attachments

• image-1186048830.jpg
    image-1186048830.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 33
  • image-2890679634.jpg
    image-2890679634.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 33
  • image-2736649970.jpg
    image-2736649970.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 40
  • image-3904192438.jpg
    image-3904192438.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 46
  • image-2801765919.jpg
    image-2801765919.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 36
In a 45g with the plants you have listed I would get:

Corkscrew val- 2 bundles
Crytocoryne becketti "petchii"- 3
Penny wort- 1 or 2 bundles
Red flame sword- 1
Anubia barteri var. nana- 3 to 5
Hydrophilia corymbosa var 'stricta' - 2 bundles
Dwarf sage- 2 bundles
Rotala Rotunfoilia- 2 bundles

Then when you plant your stem plants, plant an area of them so you have a very visual distinct stand that will make a statement. Using at least 6 stems planted correctly in an area is the minimum IMO that looks good. Also when planting the Vals... plant each stem individually but close together so you look like you have a cluster of grass, not just one here and one there spaced out as that IMO looks really odd. Then as you get runners you can clip them and replant them closer to the stand of Vals or start another planting area of them else where. In a larger tank bigger clusters of plants make a much better visual impact IMO than just planting a couple stems here and a couple there.

Back
Top Bottom