How many pound of rock do I "really" need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I believe I have 40 pounds of rock in my 40 breeder tank. This December it will be up for 3 years. I'm getting a little bored with my rock arrangement. I don't seem to have any room for more corals. If I rearrange the rockscape can I take some out?

I see lots of avail real estate
Use your imagination be creative
I like your layout too
I leave no rock uncovered and I still find room for more lol
img_2172439_0_5f20ec8efdc95ffaf12f6ad0d19981e7.jpg

lbannie said:
I believe I have 40 pounds of rock in my 40 breeder tank. This December it will be up for 3 years. I'm getting a little bored with my rock arrangement. I don't seem to have any room for more corals. If I rearrange the rockscape can I take some out?

Is that a lemon peel angel or a yellow tang.. sorry for trolling haha other then that beautiful tank! I see plenty of room for more coral.

You done NEED any rock really but the more you have the stronger your biofiltration can/will be.

You could reposition the rock you have to give it more of a slant. When rock is as vertical as you have it you gain height but loose a lot of surface to place corals. I think it looks nice the way you have it buy I can see how it would be limiting.

Thanks guys! Thinking about moving the rocks is a big job!! I definitely want to move them in a bit so I clean the sides better. I
It's a yellow tang in there..... I know he needs a bigger tank.
Maybe one of these rainy days I'll tackle this project ;)

You can remove rock if you want it doesn't truly matter. For example my tank is 75g with a 30g sump it has about 90g of water volume. When I was setting up the tank I read and read you must have 1.5 - 2lbs of rock per gallon and to me this was way over bored. I don't like tanks with a ton of rock in them I think it takes up swimming space for fish and just make the tank look cluttered. So I put 60lbs of rock in it. My rock if very pours and I think this is key more so then a weight requirement. You can haves less rock the more porus the rock is. About a month ago I had an issue where I needed to remove half my rock because of a hydroid issue. I took half the rock out and left about 35-40lbs of rock in the tank. I have had the 35lbs of rock in the 75g for over a month now and I have noticed absolutely no difference in the cycle of the aquarium. My nitrates are the same as they were each week when I do the water change, no fish have been removed or added. I also have no sand bed and run a bare bottom tank.

My stock list includes
2 clowns
Sailfin tang
Midis Blenny
4 chromis
Pajama cardinal
Royal gramma
Marine betta (about 7")
Yellow watchman
Serpent star
Long spine urchin

As you can see my load is probably well stocked. The bacteria we are talking about are microscopic we do not need to provide them with as much room as one may think. They will colonize on everything and some study's suggest that some of the largest colonies of biological filtration happens in the plumbing of the tank because it is dark with very high water flow. My 40g has a snowflake eel and some damsels in it and it only has like 20lbs of rock and it's perfectly fine as well.

You must take into the consideration of the rock you have. I don't think that any true saltwater rock would require more then .75lbs per gallon. I use bulkreefsupply reef savor rock and it's very porus and they also have another rock that's even more porus then the rock I use and very little is needed to sustain a tank. I tend to think about it like this. If you have 100 for a fundrasior people and put them in a school they will spread out in the school but if you put those 100 people in the school gym then they will find a way to fit in the gym same thinkng with bacteria. They don't care if they are touching they don't care if they are cramped. As long as they can feed they will grow and be there.

Nice yellow tang. I heard somewhere that if they're in a tank less than 12' their insides grow until they literally explode & risk breaking the glass.

Is your tank viewable on the sides? If not, I would build up one corner vertically and create a small back to front slope and left to right slope. Picture a L if you were to look down at the tank.

Maybe it was the tang police warning all to stray away from "abusing" them :lol:. I've always heard it to be no less than a 6 foot tank and their body stops growing at a certain point when the tank is too small, but their organs don't. So they slowly die because their organs are compressing. :( An awful way to die...

This is way off topic, but I will say this: there is no scientific evidence anywhere relating to anything about tangs in captivity. It is all myth propagated by the Internet.

I keep all my tangs in 10g tanks....But seriously you could get by with like 25-30lbs maybe less just put the excess in your sump if you have one if you dont have a sump put the rock in a box with wet news paper then PM me for my address lol

My tank is a 40 gallon. 3 feet long. I know my tang needs more room( newbie mistake when I got him) eventually I'll be getting a bigger tank so hopefully he'll be ok till then

Back
Top Bottom