how many ppl have no algae eaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm trying to think of how to stock my 30 gal. hex, and I was thinking of just having about 8 Glass Shrimp and maybe 3-4 Panda Corys on the bottom.

I was just wondering if most people have at least a couple algae-eating fish in the tank. I've seen several posts implying that having a lot of algae means you have a water problem, and algae-eaters aren't the solution .... but I assume that at least some algae is always there.

So, should I try to fit a couple Ottos in there? Seems like most things that eat algae are too big for a 30 gal. hex that already has some bottom feeders.

I guess another question I have is about "shoaling". Is that pretty much the same thing as schooling for bottom feeders? Is there something wrong with only having a couple Corys in a tank?

I do not have an algae eater in my 55 gal tank. No need for one. I just keep up with water changes and do not allow direct/indirect sunlight.

Cories should be in a school of at least 5.

I have no algae eaters in my tanks. Just try to keep things in balance and apply a liitle elbow grease sometimes.

I don't have any algae eaters either, but I do have mystery (brigs) snails. Not so much because of algae but because they're fun and interesting

Fishyfanatic said:
I do not have an algae eater in my 55 gal tank. No need for one. I just keep up with water changes and do not allow direct/indirect sunlight.
How do you avoid indirect sunlight? No windows in the whole room? Besides, don't most decent bulbs (at least planted bulbs) mimic sunlight pretty well?

Fishyfanatic said:
Cories should be in a school of at least 5.
Why?

joannde said:
I don't have any algae eaters either, but I do have mystery (brigs) snails. Not so much because of algae but because they're fun and interesting
I'd like to get some of them. The only ones I can find around here are either ugly dull brown adults in cups or extremely small (I'm talking under 1/4" babies) colorful ones. Do you have the population under control? Do you have to remove a lot of eggs clutches/sacs/whatever?

I've not kept algae-eaters in over 15 years now.

I stay on top of my water changes and scrape algae that forms on the glass. It's kind of unrealistic (and a bit lazy, IMO) to expect a fish to keep algae removed from a tank. If you have a tank, it's your responsibility to care for it. Again, that's just my opinion. If you like alage eaters and want to keep them because of that- then that's another matter altogether.

Shoaling and schooling are two different words for the same thing.

Cories are schooling fish; they're more comfortable in groups, and that's why most hobbyists would encourage keeping them in groups.

After a few recent deaths I have one remaining Otocinclus but I didn't buy them for that purpose. I bought them cause I thought they would make a nice fish to keep. As a matter of fact, I feed them wafers because I can't get my algae to grow fast enough for them. So really, I haven't bought algae eaters to take care of a problem ever.

While they are fun to watch, I don't think I will get any more. They are great little fish but its a pain trying to keep them from swimming up my python (its happened twice now) making maintanence difficult. So, I decided I would keep these as long as I can keep them alive and then not get anymore. Unfortunately I lost 2 in the past 2 weeks. Though I'm not sure whats killing them, it may have been the switch to prime. Otos are known for their almost random deaths though so I don't think its anything I did.

I keep up with water changes and have no direct/indirect sunlight (no windows) and I still have algae....go figure. Someday I will get on top of it. I do have algae eaters though, but more for my enjoyment then for the algae. I love my ottos and BN.

Of the 5 tanks I have up and running right now, I only have algae in the tanks that don't have CO2 injection. The 3 tanks that have CO2 (DIY jello systems) are fine. One of the tanks gets a little bit on the glass due to some direct sunlight, but even that is limited. Having fast growing plants and decent balance of nutrients has helped a lot. The 2 tanks that have been pretty much neglected are a mess. I'm moving one to my office and the other I'll straighten out after I move next week...

BTW, 2 or the 3 algae-free tanks Otos in them and one of them has a SAE. Go figure!

Tostada[quote="joannde said:
I'd like to get some of them. The only ones I can find around here are either ugly dull brown adults in cups or extremely small (I'm talking under 1/4" babies) colorful ones. Do you have the population under control? Do you have to remove a lot of eggs clutches/sacs/whatever?[/quote]

I've had 12 snails for 2 months and I've never seen an eggsack. But even if they did lay eggs Mystery Snails lay pink eggs above the water line so they're easy to find and remove.

I bought mine on EBay - this guy has GREAT mystery snails. He obviously takes very good care of them, his packaging is perfect, and he has many colors to choose from. He hand selects the snails he sells on eBay, the rest go to wholesalers. His ebay name is paradiseaquatics. I just checked and he doesn't seem to have any right now - maybe he's on vacation.

BTW - I also have panda cories - the bigger the group the more fun they are, trust me ! They're a HOOT

I've got no snails and no algae eaters, and no algae, not even a green speck. No algae eater can be safely housed with my fish without risk to them or to my current stock.

I had cories, but no algae eaters...that being said, I am moving to sand substrate and will be introducing MTS.

We have windows in the room but the blinds are drawn so indirect sunlight does not hit the tank. I wish it would actually because then I could stop dosing phosphorus for the plants. :)

Cories are schooling fish. They are best kept in groupings. They are similar to Tetras in that they feel most comfortable that way.

ive always tried to keep plecos/snails (they didnt last long in by goldfish tank {i didnt know any better at the time, i was a kid) but now that ive started a tropic aquarium i bought a pleco but have to feed him cucumbers because lack of algae

i did find a tiny baby snail stowaway and attempted to raise it... just when i thought it was big enough to introduce into my 55 gal, my BGK or kuhli's got it

yesterday i bought a big ramshorn for my clawed frogs tank (much algae), however when i tried to direct him to the algae, he hid in his shell and hasnt moved for at least 10 hours

shoal

Schooling and shoaling get confusing at times. lol Sometimes they are used to describe the same behavior. Other times people use schooling to describe fish that are in a tight cohesive group. And schoaling to mean they are in proximity to each other, but not in one tight group. A good example of schooling fish is of course neon tetras. They will disperse when comfortable, but bunch in a tight school when they feel threatened. I think corys are really schoalers. They like and do better in groups, but they are often off doing their own thing, seeming oblivious to each other. And then they will gather and form a dogpile of themselves. lol Then they are too cute!!

Again, this is all my opinion, and really, I am not sure any freshwater fish exhibit the schooling behavior of say, saltwater sardines. Fish that never leave the tight school. Of course if I was surrounded by grouper, barracuda, sharks, etc, I would not either. :)

tostada...btw dont count on glass/ghost shrimp to eat algae, they much much rather prefer leftover fish flakes, and only eat algae if your starving them

I have 7 tiger barbs in my 35 hex with nothing else. I get a TON of indirect sun light, but it's very indirect, and I have no algae.

Back
Top Bottom