How many pumps do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

franktobia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys.

I'm about to start my first saltwater tank (i have done plenty of freshwater but i want to expand). It's a 30 gallon tank that would probably have 4-5 fish in it. I was planning on doing a cartridge filter and a protein skimmer. I heard since i'm not doing a sump, i should have more then one pumps. I'm looking at hydor pumps right now and i'm not sure if i need one or two and how many gph do i need per pump. Would two 600 gph pumps be too crazy?

Two pumps will help you create a more 'chaotic' and randomized flow pattern in the system. It will help with minimizing low flow areas.
In terms of 600 gph, that is just fine. A minimum of flow is around 10x turnover of the system and can go as high at 50x in high flow sps tanks.

Two pumps will help you create a more 'chaotic' and randomized flow pattern in the system. It will help with minimizing low flow areas.
In terms of 600 gph, that is just fine. A minimum of flow is around 10x turnover of the system and can go as high at 50x in high flow sps tanks.

Ok thank you. Also how should I position the two pumps. One on the left wall and one on the right? Should they be the same height or one lower and one higher?

Back
Top Bottom