How many snails for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtwang

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm wondering what the ideal number of snails is for a 90 gallon tank with 5 goldfish in it. I know that they produce waste themselves and use oxygen etc, so I'm wondering if anyone might have a recommendation of common snails to buy and how many they'd suggest would be optimal for algae eating and tank conditions.

If crabs are also a good add (I don't know a whole ton about clean up crews) I'd love suggestions as to snail and crab combos for the tank.

Adult Mystery snails, might be alright, Goldies will eat up small snails as snacks. I am not positive about if a Goldy would attack a big MS.

As for crabs there are only a few choices, a couple will get big and there are a couple which require land with their water, and super tiny crabs called Thai Micro Crabs ( also a quick snack).

The bigger crabs would be too big and could injure a GF.

Fiddler and Red Claw crabs need the land options and thrive with brackish water rather than just FW.

Maybe someone here has had MS with Goldies.

What kinds and how large are your fish?

There are some kinds of fish for the bottom.

The goldfish are probably like 3 inches long. I thought about a catfish but I dont want to increase the bioload or whatever it's called on the tank, since I've been told I'm already pushing it with 5 goldfish in that tank.
Thanks for your advice. Do you have any recommendation for number of snails? The store suggestions always seem outrageous. I have just two at the minute who seem to be happy enough, but don't know if it'd be even cleaner with more than that.
Do you have suggestions for crab species I could get? Does a crab clean up about as much as one snail?

At the moment you are fine with the bioload of the tank because the fish are small. They DO grow fast.

Which kind of Goldfish do you have now?

Crabs would not be compatible too large and a danger to your fish, need brackish water and the others are too small and would be eaten.

You could have crabs in a different set tank up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What kind of filter do you have?

I would run 2 AquaClear 110 (each filter is appx. 500 gallons per hour) or a Fluval FX-5 or 6 (925 g/ph) and a AquaClear 110 that would make for some great filtration for Goldies.

Having excellent filtration and a strong BB colony are very important. Just something to maybe be keeping an eye out for and find a good deal.

I'm not sure what the filter is since I'm out of country and my fish are currently being looked after by family.

How many snails do you think would do?

Is it a planted tank?

Mystery Snails Pomacea diffusa not the Apple snail pomacea canaliculata there are many names these are known as.

The Apple snail is one which can get very large like the size of a medium/large fist. Not allowed in many states because of pest /invasive destruction of native areas.

Some snails like Japanese trap door snails are often kept with Goldfish in ponds usually. People often keep them in tanks.

Marisa cornuarietis aka Colombian Ramshorn Snail

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First off would depend on which type of snail you are interested in for how many.

You could do one Mystery snail per 5 Gallons. That is a reasonable amount.

If it were me, I would add about 6 Mystery Snails in a few colors for variety and added beauty, they help with algae but also some food leftovers, and

Adding too many snails is an issue because they do poop - but help clean too.

That's were a few bottom feeders can be also useful and fun to watch. Not adding too much of a bioload, say 4 Loaches. Or 6 of them they like friends. And make the tank more interesting. These loaches would likely eat Dwarf shrimp though.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/2099/?pcatid=2099

What kind of Goldfish do you have?

I have common goldfish. The tank doesn't have plants in it.
Thanks for your advice! I think I"ll look into adding loaches and apple snails:)

Back
Top Bottom