how many to move into new 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many fish can I move into my new 20 gallon tank?

I set up my tank, added 7 cherry barbs yesterday and now I think I would like to move my two platys from my 5 gallon into my 20 gallon. can I move them today? I know that you should not put more than 3 or so in a tank at a time, but would this still be OK just this one time?

I checked my tank and both yesterday and today the Ammonia and Nitrites were still 0. I know this will change as I go through the cyling process.

Also, how often should I be checking my water on my new tank? every day or every other day? and for how long before I can drop back to checking weekly. and lastly - what tests do I need to run and how frequently? I know the ammonia and nitrites, but can I just test the nitrAtes weekly? how often on the PH?
thanks for helping me out on all my newbie questions!! :thanks:

If you are doing as the previous poster said, then I suggest you test every other day. If you see anything go above 0.25, do 50% water change and test again the very next day.

Leave the platy where they are for now. You need to build up your bacteria colony and get the tank fully cycled and established before adding much else. This may take a while...

richardh said:
If you are doing as the previous poster said, then I suggest you test every other day. If you see anything go above 0.25, do 50% water change and test again the very next day.

Leave the platy where they are for now. You need to build up your bacteria colony and get the tank fully cycled and established before adding much else. This may take a while...

Right on the money except I would test every day regardless.

Theres a link that will help you tremendously, ill have to find it really quick.

What I suggest doing is:
Test your water EVERY day, for everything even pH. You will be surprised how fast it builds up when it starts.
Move ALL of the filter media from the filter on the 5 gallon to the new 20g filter.
Move the platys (their tank isn't cycled anyway).
Continue your fish in cycle doing water changes daily.
The filter media will have some BB growing on it from the 5 so it will help out.
Do not add any more fish to the tank until the tank is cycled (4-8 weeks it will take).
You should do the same thing with the Betta tank you have and move him and the neons to the 5 with all the filter media.

The thing here is patience. It will take time, in my experience of just completing a fish-in cycle on a 17g and a 33g. The 17g took 8 weeks, the 33g just 4, using seeded media from the 17g. You will pull every hair out of your body, but rest in the knowledge that you only do it once and it won't last forever ;)

so far my water is looking good. No need to change it right now, right?
20 gallon tank:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0

Is the 5 gal tank cycled and does it have a filter? Are the Platys the only fish in there? If so just move the Platys to the 20 gal and move all of the filter media from the 5 gal into the 20 gal's filter. You will probably still see some toxin spikes due to the additional fish (Barbs) but the seeded media from the 5 gal will help, just keep testing and doing pwc as needed as stated above.

librarygirl said:
Is the 5 gal tank cycled and does it have a filter? Are the Platys the only fish in there? If so just move the Platys to the 20 gal and move all of the filter media from the 5 gal into the 20 gal's filter. You will probably still see some toxin spikes due to the additional fish (Barbs) but the seeded media from the 5 gal will help, just keep testing and doing pwc as needed as stated above.

The 2.5, 5 and 20 are all newly cycling. :)

Back
Top Bottom