How many yellow lab cichlids can I put in a 40 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The fish guy8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am soon getting a 40 gallon aquarium and have wondered how many yellow lab cichlids I could put in it. I don't want to overstock the tank though!!!!

Is there a specific gender of yellow labs I should put in the 40 gallon aquarium?

No specific gender. Unless you buy sub-adult or fully adult fish, yellow labs are basically monomorphic. Once they reach about 2 inches or a bit more, the males will usually - but unfortunately not always - develop egg spots. They're very peaceful for Mbuna, so if you want to do an all male tank, it could work as long as you have enough structure for territories. A mixed gender tank would be fairly peaceful, also. Be warned though: yellow labs can breed like guppies. 8 fish can quickly over-stock your tank with fry. If you want to try a bit more color, yellow labs and elec blue johanni look great together, and get along well together.

Male yellow labs will have black lining the ventral fins, this is a pretty sure ID, an all male tank will fight some, these guys are peaceful for a mbuna, not peaceful, that means they will still rip fish fin from fin, I have a dominate male who will kill any mbuna attempting to suit his females. I would shoot for around 10 fish to help spread aggression, similarly sized, somewhere in the 3 male to 7 female or 2 male to 8 female range. Breeding shouldn't be a concern, if you do not strip the mother and raise them yourself then hungry cichlids will make the fry disappear as fast as they appear. An all male tank could work, but one rogue dominant could put the rest in danger.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom