How much ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregcuoz

Aquarium Advice Regular
120 gal fishless cycle. I went to a link with a PPm converter. said I need 23.91 ml of ammonia. That converts to 4.85 teaspoons. Does this sound like the correct ammount of ammonia? 4.85 (basically 5) teaspoons of ammonia for a 120 gallon tank?
TIA

LOL!!! I dont have the calculator in front of me but i thought the amount sounded a bit high. Recalculate it to 4ppm- 5 is a bit of an overkill. 5mls=1teaspoon but do not use a regular teaspoon to dose, use an actual measuring spoon because its a bit smaller than regular 'teaspoon' in the kitchen drawer. This where a 5ml syringe really helps for accuracy-this stuff is POTENT (do not sniff the bottle, it will knock you on the floor!) so round the any 'in-between' amounts down. You then can wait 15mins & test your tanks amm levels. If its not quite 4, its easier to add a little bit more than dose too high & have to do a big water change! I did this test before & i dont recall the exact number, but its something like 15-20drops of liquid in 1ml if this helps for smaller amounts. Happy dosing & keep us posted! :)

LOL!!! I dont have the calculator in front of me but i thought the amount sounded a bit high. Recalculate it to 4ppm- 5 is a bit of an overkill. 5mls=1teaspoon but do not use a regular teaspoon to dose, use an actual measuring spoon because its a bit smaller than regular 'teaspoon' in the kitchen drawer. This where a 5ml syringe really helps for accuracy-this stuff is POTENT (do not sniff the bottle, it will knock you on the floor!) so round the any 'in-between' amounts down. You then can wait 15mins & test your tanks amm levels. If its not quite 4, its easier to add a little bit more than dose too high & have to do a big water change! I did this test before & i dont recall the exact number, but its something like 15-20drops of liquid in 1ml if this helps for smaller amounts. Happy dosing & keep us posted! :)

HOLY ****!!! I thought all the hard work was over :facepalm: hahaha. 5ml= 1ts, so if its 23ml for 5ppm for 120 gal..... ok where is the "my head is friggin spinning smiley"? Let me calculate (insert Jeopardy theme).... 4ppm would be 19.13ml... so we are talking just short of 4 teaspoons of ammonia for 120 gal...
I remember in high school thinking, Im NEVER gonna use this math. :nono:

Thanks Jess

Pretty good math skills!!! Lmfao!!!! My ballpark guess wouldve been @17 so i wasnt too far off!! Your welcome! :)

Back
Top Bottom