How much bio-load?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Becks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What bio-load will my tank support? I want to add another fish but I know I can't go on like this forever!.... How does one know/guess when to stop?

I have a new Aquapod 24 with 4 fish resident. (details on info page) I want to add someone with an appetite for fuzzy green algae.

TIA, Becks
PS. The cardinal is eating again and I think will survive and prosper indefinitely.

It looks like you are pretty close to maxed.
Fuzzy green algae, is it hair algae?
What/how much/how often do you feed?
How long do you run your lights?
The reason I am asking, is if you have hair algae, adding fish to eat it won't really work. It tends to grow faster then they can eat it.

I kind of agree that you are about full. Another fish to eat the hair algea would be a bandaid solution. Try to get rid of the hair algea by limiting its fuel.

I would say that is about it for what you have listed. Adding more LR to your tank would help stretch the bioload capacity a bit but with four fish already I would say you are at your limit.

I'm feeding mysid shrimp - I have just reduced feeding to every other day. On feeding days I give 3 or 4 tweezer pinches. Just enough to make sure everybody gets one or 2 bites. I do this in the morning and again at night on feeding days. Is that too much?

Am also planning to replace all the man-made filter media with LR rubble and upgrade the pump. These two things should happen today or tomorrow.

Is there a rule of thumb for knowing how many fish you can put in a system?

Becks said:
Is there a rule of thumb for knowing how many fish you can put in a system?
This really depends on what you are stocking, messy eaters would mean fewer fish. Better filtration will also help, as Lando stated.

There is an inch rule but I dont subscribe to it because all fish are different and some eat different than others. It basically depends on the fish.

Back
Top Bottom