How much bite force?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadSoyBeans

Aquarium Advice Freak
So when i feed my red eared slider i have to take her out of the tank (cause i dont want to pollute my water with uneaten food), but whenever i do that she tries to bite my finger. So how strong are red eared slider bites, currently shes a baby so i doubt its that much but im curious.

Pretty sure that red earsliders need to eat IN the water as it helps them swallow and allow the digestive system breakdown the food...do research before you go out and choose a life to hold in your hands....

some turtles pack a mean bite turtles have a strong jaw , a jaw strength of a turtle can range anywhere from 5 pounds per square inch to a 1000 pounds per square inch .
turtles have a locking jaw once it locks its hard to get it open .

you want to avoid getting bit by a turtle if they break skin you could get a nasty infection that can land you in the hospital , turtles have no teeth they have sharp razor like jaws some even have a claw like jaw , some turtles can bite off fingers even hands depending the size of the turtle also the type . always use common sense when handling a turtle .

herbivore turtles are less likely to bite unless provoked .

carnivore turtles will snap at anything in front of it and most of the time they can break the skin , it's always best to use leather gloves when handling a turtle,

put a raw hot dog in front of your turtle you will witness 2 things how clean of a bite he has,
and how strong his jaw is , look at that hot dog as if it were your finger . never under estimate a turtles true bite....

Always wash your hands with anti bacterial soap after handling a turtle . click on link
http://www.anapsid.org/washyourhands

Last edited:
Oh yeah don't worry i use anti bacterial soap.

I did a bunch more research and i found out that red eared sliders dont bite out of water (unless if they are very provoked), but for adults it will might break the skin but not all of the time. My turtle is a baby so i doubt that it would hurt that much but i will still be carefull.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom