how much c02 is needed???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
how much co2 is needed for a 75 gallon, ive been looking into a co2 system but i can only find systems for up to 20-29 gallons do i need to buy a few of those or will one work??? also i have seen vids on youtube of peple making some for theit 55 gallon and for their 20 gallon so id i cant find one i might make onefor the 55 and one for the 20

also i have some co2 tanks that i used for my paintball guns and i was wondering if i could use those and if i can and i do get the big tank for the co2 system could i refill it wit the co2 from the paintball place??? or should i just keep on buying tanks of co2 when needed???

and ill post some pics of the plants so you guys can see what i have and please tell me if co2 is needed for this many plants and any aquascape suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!!

you will need to either buy one of the big co2 kits online or make one yourself using individual parts. one such kit is here: Primo CO2 System | Green Leaf Aquariums and you can get it refilled at a variety of places like welding supply shops and the like. the tank comes empty anyway so you will have to find somewhere near you to fill it up no matter what. you could also use your paintball canister, but you will have to refill it much more often since the big paintball canisters are only like 20 oz.

ya it is but they only charge 1.50 to refill, how big are the co2 tanks that come with them just to ask how much will it be to fill a tank that big

10 lb tanks by themselves are around $80-100ish. a 16 oz paintball co2 tank = 1 lb, so its 10x more than one of those. regulator/solenoid combos are also around $80-100 plus bubble counter and tubing and stuff, so even if you bought it part by part, you're looking at probably $200 on the low end. you could do cheaper if you want to look into getting used parts though, obviously.

oh ok i would think 150-170 thats my budget right now if i could get a cheaper one will be good but im still lookin to see what i could find

How much light do you have on the 75? Can't tell from the picture, but are those T8s on the top?

$170 should be almost doable. #5 CO2 tank and a milwaukee regulator is $150 (S/H not included). I bought a #5 CO2 tank locally for $60 WITH gas. Milwaukee should be under $100 shipped. Then you need a regulator. I highly highly HIGHLY recommend Green Leaf Aquarium atomizer diffusers:

Atomic CO2 Diffuser 45mm | Green Leaf Aquariums
Atomic Inline CO2 Diffuser 8/12mm | Green Leaf Aquariums

Depending on your setup. Also, if you're doing the high tech route, pick up dry ferts there too (another $20), as you will need them to support the growth.

But yea, what kind of lights do you have?

no they are its a double t5ho that i used with my reef and a regular flourecent, the corals i had were thriving with these lights , this is the first time im actually trying to have a planted aquarium so i dont know much about them i just know i need some co2 and fert

You'll need new bulbs. A combo 0f 10k and 6.7k is usually a good mix. As for how much you need of ferts and CO2:

CO2: Generally 30 ppm in the tank. The size of the gas tank is irrelevant beyond the fact that bigger tanks = more gas = more refills ($$). Buy a drop checker, which will be able to gauge your CO2 levels. Also look up the pH/KH method to double check.

Ferts: Look up the Estimative Index dosing method.

Oh ok, Im kind of confused about the bulbs do they need t oi be stronger or newer, I just changed the bulbs about 2 1/2 weeks ago I really dont remember wat kind of bulbs I got ill check them in the morning and ill post the info but I know it was the exact same bulbs than the previous I had n I have been getting the same bulbs since I had my corals

GLA is way too expensive IMO. eseasongear.com has the regulator/solenoid/needle valve/ bubble counter/tubing combo for $89... amazon has 5lb cylinders for about $50.... home depot has pvc and fittings to make a DIY reactor for about $10. Ebay drop checkers are 3 for $10..

thanks!!!!!!! im checking into those and while i get a legit one i made a diy one but also how do i test my water to see if i have enough co2??? or if i have alot besides getting dead fish????

GLA is way too expensive IMO. eseasongear.com has the regulator/solenoid/needle valve/ bubble counter/tubing combo for $89... amazon has 5lb cylinders for about $50.... home depot has pvc and fittings to make a DIY reactor for about $10. Ebay drop checkers are 3 for $10..

GLA Regulators and their regulator packages are overprices, I will agree. But their diffusers are pure gold. I prefer diffusers, especially the 'atomic' ones, to reactors as they have less setup and are reported to work better. Also, the reactors are unsightly imo. As stated before, I use an inline atomic diffuser and have no reservations.

The eseasongear.com regulator is (I believe) the Milwaukee regulator. It's the same one I use (same place I bought it too). I would recommend checking local stores for tanks, as shipping on those things is generally $20+. I got mine in a welding shop, but they also sell it at a local brewing shop.

The blue bulbs do nothing for plants. The white bulb might be 10k, or it might be higher than that. Generally if you can't remember the temp of your bulbs, it might be time to buy new ones. Old bulbs shift spectrums, which can cause algae growth.

See, I prefer inline reactors because they don't put any bubbles in the tank... and they're easily hidden under the stand... but to each their own. That's why there's multiple diffusion methods.

I actually got my cylinder at kegerator.com for $55 shipped. Local shops around here wanted $110 for the cylinder, and it was ugly painted steel... mine was aluminum. But, that was a good deal, and looks like they're a little more expensive now.

Oh and yes, the $89 deal on eseasongear is an MA957.

i bought them a abot 2 or 3 weeks ago n i threw the box away i know it was 54 watts tho, how often should they be changed i changed mine when both went off

I think the recommendation is 6 months to a year, depending on who you're talking to.

I like the microbubbles that the atomizers produce. It lets me know that everything is working and lets me know if I'm having circulation issues. Also some people think that bubbles directly on the plants actually improves absortion.

Back
Top Bottom