How much cuttlebone for snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsarita68

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I just got a piece of cuttlebone for my two nerite snails as I heard they need some calcium. Can someone tell me how to or if I need to prepare the cuttle bone to go into the tank and then how much they would recommend for just two snails? Thanks!

Tank Info: 7/23/15
13 gallon widescreen coved tank
Quietflow 10 filter
Sand and gravel substrate
One large piece of driftwood purchased from LFS It came out of their tank.
Plants- Dwarf Sagitaria
Heater
Tank temp 81
2 Nerite Snails
8 PH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 10 Nitrates

I would break off a chunk about the size of a U.S. Quarter (or Hershey Kiss if you prefer) and place it in the filter if there is room or in the tank behind the driftwood. It is glaringly white so hiding it from view might be a good idea (may not be so obvious with a lighter substrate). It will float like a cork for several days before absorbs enough water to sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No boiling. It could take months before it dissolves. Over time biofilm will grow over the cuttlebone (I suspect this will reduce its effectiveness). You could take the old piece out and replace it with a new one.
Some folks grind it into a powder to help it dissolve.

Oops. I went ahead and boiled it before getting your message and put a few small pieces in the tank. Does the boiling ruin it? ~J

Nah, it should be fine. Heat should not change it chemically.
Someone on this forum may have suggested eggshells to boost the calcium. I tried this but I don't have a calcium test for the baseline readings. The snails and shrimp ignore it. It's been a few weeks and it is barely dissolving if anything. It sounds like it should work (been used in terrestrial plants so why not).

What is cuttlebone do I need it for my snail?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have read that snails need calcium to continue to build strong shells and it seems that many people use cuttlebone in their aquariums as a source. Cuttlebone come from cuttlefish.

It is the backbone of the cuttlefish. You buy it in the bird section of any pet store , supermarket, walmart, etc. It is hung on the side of a birds cage so that the bird can have a source of calcium and rub their beak against it. It has a hard side and a softer side. Put it in the tank with the softer side up, say tied to a rock and sometimes the snails will graze on it, in any case it will slowly dissolve in the water over time and the snails will get it through the water. Alison

Back
Top Bottom