How much $$ do you you spend on CO2 in a year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How much $$ do you you spend on CO2 in a year?

I don't have CO2 yet, but hope to sometime. I'm curious as to how much people spend on the CO2 itself.

Like, just on refills? a 5lb cylinder lasts 10months on my 75gallon tank, running 24/7. Cost to refill was about $18 including tax & hazzardous material fees.

I supply multiple tanks with CO2 from a 10 lb. CO2 cylinder and refill about every 6-8 months depending on the number of aquariums I'm running at the time. To refill my 10 lb. cylinder cost a few cents less than $19.00 including all fees and tax. For single moderately large aquariums the most it should cost is about $20-$25 per year for CO2. For small aquariums it should be half that amount. Note that the best option IMO is a 10 lb. CO2 cylinder. It costs about the same price to refill yet will last twice as long and the CO2 cylinder height is about the same it's just a "fatter" cylinder. The 20 lb. tank costs only about $4.00 more to refill, but the weight of a 20 lb. filled CO2 tank makes it a bit difficult to transport easily. But obviously, I would spend about half as much per year on CO2 if I had a 20 lb. tank...saving $20.00 per year doesn't IMO make up for the extra weight and handling problems of the 20 pounder though.

And I can tell you, I probably spent $20 this last year trying to run some DIY CO2 on several tanks...between sugar and yeast prices.

That does it. I'm getting CO2 tank next time I start up a new tank.

I spend $10 a year to refill a 5lb. tank. I have a med. planted, 50 gal aquarium. CO2 lasts just about the whole year.

Back
Top Bottom