How much does a tank weigh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vegababy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I saw something posted a while back (could've been on another board) about an appx. weight for each gallon of water. I have to move my 20 gal. from one side of the room to the other, and I'd like to prepare whoever is so *lucky* to help me.

I've already figured out appx weights for the stand, gravel, and tank itself...

depends who's gallons you use, it is about 8 pounds a US gal or 10 pounds an imperial gallon. Plus the weight of the tank and rocks. A "loaded" 20 may end up being 300 pounds or so.

BUT you should never move a full tank, most likely result will be split seams or broken glass from the stress put on it.

It is best to get some buckets and drain as much out of the tank as possible and remove any rocks, filters, then move it very carefully even the weight of the gravel can be rough, once moved level it and carefully return your saved water.

I just did this to move my 33 and even with most of the water & rocks out it weighs 60-70 pounds with just the gravel in it.

That is sound advice. Always remove as much as you can and then move the tank. Do it on tank cleaning day. That way you are removing a lot of water anyway!!

We have a great article in the articles area on steps you can take to prepair for a move. The steps are basicly the same if your moving your tank 5' or 500 miles except for the need to rent a truck and such.

Back
Top Bottom