How much GPH Water Flow do i need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimaT

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello guys
i currently have a 46gallon (bow front) aquarium with 4inch deep sand bed and about 50pounds of live rock.
Also, i have a 29gal sump with about 20gal of water in it.
I use a mag drive 5 for my return pump (500gph)
and i also have a vortech MP10. (but i dont run it full speed)

i have one ocellaris clown in the tank and he seems to struggle to swim in my tank. (im not sure if he likes it or just struggles because he only hangs out near the pump :banghead:...) but when i turn off my pumps he goes down to the rocks for a clean by a cleaner shrimp. however when the pumps are on he just swims on the top near the pump.)

Should i down grade to a mag drive 3? is this to much flow for my tank?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

I've got a 46 bf mixed reef with roughly 2250gph and plan on swapping out my pumps for one mp10. Your setup is fine and if the clown gets tired he will find a low flow area to rest. One mp10 can't out due the actual ocean on the reefs so he's probably just playing in the current lol.

i am still learning... but no, i will add corals really soon.

Mrc8858 said:
I've got a 46 bf mixed reef with roughly 2250gph and plan on swapping out my pumps for one mp10. Your setup is fine and if the clown gets tired he will find a low flow area to rest. One mp10 can't out due the actual ocean on the reefs so he's probably just playing in the current lol.

Boy that's a lot of flow and + 1 to it will find a low flow spot

Andrew McFadden said:
Boy that's a lot of flow and + 1 to it will find a low flow spot

I actually feel like I need another 250-500 thus the upgrade lol.. my rockwork really breaks up my flow which the mp10s undertow should really help that :)

What kind of Fish do you have? And how are they taking the Flow?

Mrc8858 said:
I actually feel like I need another 250-500 thus the upgrade lol.. my rockwork really breaks up my flow which the mp10s undertow should really help that :)

Don't you use power heads in the tank or do you just use the flow of the pump coming out of your sump?

I think I am off on my numbers as the op was asking about flow and I just gave the flow of what I'd aim for coming out of the sump. But even then I don't know how tall the tank and stand is to calculate that in for the head.

Last edited:
Ya I'm counting return pump and three circulation pumps (total DT flow)

I've got a rainfords goby a mandarin and 2 zebra barred dartfish with no problem at all in the flow.

Back
Top Bottom