How much (if any) shrimp loss is normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StellaStars

Aquarium Advice Activist
A couple weeks ago I added 7 orange fire sakura shrimp to my tank. Three one day and four the next. From a reputable LFS.

Today, I'm having a hard time getting a headcount of more than 4 at once, even with a cucumber and algea wafer bribe.

After looking around as best as I could in a heavily planted tank (including driftwood and rocks) I found one dead shrimp. That leaves two more either dead or hiding.

My water parameters are good, the four shrimp I can see seem good, and the fish in the tank seem just fine.

The shrimp I found looked normal. No signs of injury or being attacked. (I have tiny rasboras, so that's not likely anyway.)

Is this within the realm of normal? Should I be concerned?

I wonder if overfeeding could be a problem?

I have a bn pleco and he gets 1/4 to 1/3 of an algae wafer every other day. He's a messy eater and the shrimp clean up after him.

Well, this morning I have a headcount of five happy, healthy shrimp.

That means I still only have one confirmed loss. (With one unaccounted for)

I guess I've been worrying for nothing and it's just that in a heavily planted tank I'm not going to see them all at once.

If they started breeding I expect the space would fill up quickly - meanwhile, maybe I'll pick up a couple more shrimp.

An excuse for a visit to the LFS!

Unfortunately with shrimp, even in healthy water conditions deaths can occur. I am sorry that has happened. I have a colony of red/blue rili shrimp since february and I have found just a small handful dead. Circle of life type of stuff I guess :-/

Shrimp like good water conditions but more than that like stability. I believe that transferring shrimp from LFS water, which is rarely pristine, into near perfect tank water is still a shock to them. The first 2-3 weeks is always the crunch time. Once the colony grows it's hard to say how many die as the shrimp devour the dead shrimp so I rarely find one. They let nothing go to waste!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SHRIMPYS SHRIMPYS SHRIMPYS SHRIMPYS. sorry....... i dont know what made me think of writing that. i am getting some Red Cherry Shrimp for my 55 gal soon. SOOOOOOOOOO Exciteeeeeeddddd.

Back
Top Bottom