How much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Due to algea growing on my plants, im cutting back on lighting. How much is enough to get all that dang algea away?!?

adadkins1 said:
How long your lights are on each day.

Ohh! It isnt really a set time, when i wake up, when i go to bed. Eek! Sooo maybe 7-8? Wow that seems like alot...

mfdrookie516 said:
You need a timer. 7 hours is plenty. Specifically, what kind of algae do you have? Can you tell us more about your setup?

Yes! 40 g planted quite a bit, brownish hair algea on the leaves, and it is really hard to scrub off. Oh and i dose flourish and iron supplement on sundays

Brownish hair algae huh? BBA perhaps? If that's it, reducing your photoperiod won't do a whole lot.... but I doubt thats what it is since it looks like you just have two T8 fixtures over the tank?

mfdrookie516 said:
Brownish hair algae huh? BBA perhaps? If that's it, reducing your photoperiod won't do a whole lot.... but I doubt thats what it is since it looks like you just have two T8 fixtures over the tank?

1, and 2 other separate ones. And whats bba? Sorry ;(

mfdrookie516 said:
black beard algae. google that and see if that's what you're seeing.

Hmm i think i might have some if that, but thats not the main problem. Any other algea types i can compare it too?

mfdrookie516 said:

In the aquascape website, it looks kind of like the algea that is in the picture at the bottom on the plant leaves. It doesnt really look like any of them, because mine is an early stage i think, and the pictures were of extreme cases. I would give you a thousand photos right now if i could, but thatll have to wait bec im not home :(

abrahamavelar said:
Also how old are the bulbs and pwc's might help

The bulbs...no idea about one, second is maybe a couple, third is probably one or two

Ok here we are. Its sort of a fuzzy black algea. And in the backround you can see the brown diatoms on all my rocks :/

The diatoms usually goes away on its own, snd its usually found in newly stablished tanks also spne plants die when u put thwm in ur tank but they will come back, that happened to my swords n pretty much all my plants

So i am going to get a timer today. And an off topic question, but i want to replace my filter cartridge with just regular quilt bedding because i dont want carbon soaking up my ferts. Could i replace it anytime i wanted? Like could i do that now and it wouldnt be a bad thing? Thx

abrahamavelar said:
I use a acrubbing pad, if u can get the carbon out of the tging just do that so u can keep that bacteria

So cut the top open, and keep it in?

Back
Top Bottom