How much Lighting would this be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well since my 5 gallon is now a breeder tank I was going to throw some javamoss and there. I was going to buy a new bulb since it would be cheap for the fixture I have.

How much lighting would a 25watt 6in screw in bulb be? It's for plants and it's from petsmart. (I know this would be enough for javamoss but I still wanted to know the level since I don't understand the break down on small tanks.

Would it be like low, medium, or what?

Also what is the lighting level on my 10 gallon with 2x 15watt flourcent bulbs in it. Around 13k Ks total?

A 25W screw in incandescent would be very low light. A 23W spiral fluorescent would be low to medium lihgt.

If it's from Petsmart, chances are that it's an incadescent bulb. You can heat up your tank with it and that's about it.

Good plants for low light are anubias, cryptocoryne, java fern and java moss. You might possibly get enough light for valisneria too.

But ambient incandescent light in say some desklamp by your tank will let you watch your nocturnal fish at night with a nice spooky orange glow. :)

Some argue that while such light won't affect plants algae can capitalize on it. While thats logical and may be true, I think if algae actually flourished under such conditions the tank has bigger problems

Back
Top Bottom