How much longer until I can get a frog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a spare 10 gallon tank that I decided to use to breed my betta's. At first I added 1 and 1/4 inches of water in there from my already cycled tank. I then added another 1 and 1/4 inch of tap water. I added about 3 plants in there and then let it sit like that for about 2 weeks. I then added the betta's and to my suprise the female nearly killed my male betta. I took them out after a week of them being in there. And yes I did do what I was suppose to and I didn't just put them into the tank. I then decided to get a frog, but the probably wasn't cycled and it wasn't very high. I added another 3 to 4 inches of tap treated water. Oh and there was a lot of mulm in the tank from the Betta's. It has been about a month a few weeks and just today I asked one of my science teacher if he could give me some DuckWeed and he gave me some. I put them into the tank. I know I'm going to have an infestation of them, but I don't care. From what you read so far is the tank sound a bit cycled? I'm going to do a water change after I get a few answers on this post. TIA!

There isn't anything such as "a bit cycled"; either a tank is cycled or its not. The only way to tell is to test the water. If there is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5-40 ppm nitrates you should be golden :)

theres no way of knowing if its cycled unless you do a water test...

water from your cycled tank doesnt really help much since the bacteria doesnt live in the water (some does) but instead on the surfaces within the tank. and if it only sat for 2 weeks, then it did not have time to cycle.. that usually takes 4-6 weeks. so you didnt really do what you are "supposed" to do, b/c you did put the fish in a non cycled tank.

do you have a water test kit? if not, then go out and get the master test kit from you lfs.. (my petsmart has them for $20 so its not a bad deal)

and i havent tried to breed bettas but i have read that sometimes the female will try and kill the male instead of the other way around as one would think. i heard that a good way of introducing them is to have a divider in the tank, and then take it out once the male has built his bubble nest... but like i said i havent bred bettas its just what i have read.

Actually Tabitha, he did build a bubblenest. I forgot to check what the female was doing. All I remebered was that she was flaring back at him. Btw the water has been inhabited by 2 betta's for 1 week, sat out for 2 weeks and sat out for about about 4 to 5 weeks with fish mulm in it. Oh and when the betta's were in there, they were perfectly fine, they weren't even stressed from the move to the smaller bowl to the larger tank. I don't have a test kit... And I don't have much money.

Actually Rx, you'd be better off spending the money on tests then you would on the frog; without knowing how safe the water is, you are taking a chance on both the fish and the frog. You also could bring a sample of tank water to a lfs and ask them to test it for you.

Hmmm. Alright. I tried to breed Guppies once, but failed. I think lol. Never saw any fry. Unless the male and other female got to them first. Well I was going to get a frog and some feeder guppy in to the spare 10 gallon so the frog could have a snack when it wants, and the feeder's could reproduce since the frog probably won't eat all of them right away. I started to read about Guppies again and now I want to try and breed Fancy Guppies once again lol. I want to sell my Blue Gourami and Pink Convict Cichlid, but I don't know what to do to sell them. They are getting on my nerves. They keep uprooting my plants before the plants can even grow some decent roots to stay in the gravel. How am I suppose to sell them? :?: TIA

have you tried taking back the gourami and the cichlid to the lfs? they might give you in store credit and then buy a test kit with that :D even though you will probably still have to pay some money for it. i know petsmart probably wouldnt do it but a store that is not a chain will probably do it.

and what kind of frog are you getting? if you want it to eat fish it sounds like maybe an african clawed frog...

i have an african dwarf frog and they eat stuff like bloodworms. anyways good luck with everything

What kind of frog? I have a ten gallon with some dry land area at the surface for my fire belly toads. They need to get out of the water. The african dwarf frogs dont have to leave the water. However all amphibians are very sensitive to chlorine and water additives. Chlorine will kill fire belly's quickly. More so than the ph and ammonia.

Fire Bellied Toads are extremly sensative to poor water conditions as well as chlorine. I keep my water pristine and it keeps the toads happy.

I want a the African Clawed Frog. Oh and today i changed 30% of the water and added my male betta. It was a bit unactive and was stressed a lot. I put it in the tank and I'm not sure what happened, but my betta became very active. It didn't even look stressed at all. It flared back at it's image and it hadn't done that in quite a while. I left it in there and the betta seemed to be much happier. No signs of anything bad happening. Btw does duckweed grow very fast? Its either me or something because my duckweed population increased quite a bit. Either that or some were invisible at first lol.

Back
Top Bottom