How much money do you have into our hobby so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Much

• 0-100

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • 101-200

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • 201-300

Votes: 29 10.0%
  • 301-400

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 401-500

Votes: 24 8.3%
  • 501-800

Votes: 29 10.0%
  • 801-1000

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • 1001-1500

Votes: 44 15.2%
  • 1501-2000

Votes: 26 9.0%
  • 2001-3000

Votes: 18 6.2%
  • This list can't even touch my price tag lol

Votes: 54 18.6%

• Total voters
Afraid to add it all up. Makes it easier and more guilt free every time I go to the fish store...which is often ;-)

Ha I'm glad everyone feels the same way I do.

Don't look at the credit card bill!

To date, I can't (don't want to?) imagine how much I have into my 4 tanks. I'm almost certain it won't be as much as when I finally get to do "my tank" that'll be a SW setup lol.

They way I look at it is I don't drink and I don't smoke (never have)... so lets say at the age of 18 I was smoking 1 pack a day and drinking $50 a week... so over the last 10 years I would have spent $62,400 I got a lot of catching up to do... :D

Greenmaster said:
They way I look at it is I don't drink and I don't smoke (never have)... so lets say at the age of 18 I was smoking 1 pack a day and drinking $50 a week... so over the last 10 years I would have spent $62,400 I got a lot of catching up to do... :D

Me either so I guess were justified lol

Anytime someone says "How could you spend that kind of money on one fish?" I go, "it was less then one months worth of cigarets that just went up in smoke, and this fish will live for years"

Couldn't give you a lifetime total, but my new tank was 1800 bucks for the glass and furniture alone. My lights were 150, used, and I am looking at a $300 skimmer. Return pump is 130, rock is going to be around $400 for base, and I need acrylic still to build my sump (I got the 55 gallon for free). Throw in 200 for sand, then factor livestock, salt, test kits, refractometer, you know, this is a bad idea trying to add this up in my head, somewhat crazy to think about how much $$$.

I know what you mean greenmaster, I get that question all the time, I just tell people that if your in the hobby you will get it. It is pointless to make a counterpoint, anyone that thinks keeping fish is dumb is never going to understand why hobbyist shell out the big bucks.

I just find out their hobby... there are not very many "cheep" hobbies. And explain to them why mine is better and makes more sense. (I only do that if they are harping on fishkeeping)

Exactly it's our money we will spend it how we see fit it's not like were making them pay for it although I wouldn't stop them if they tried lol

Lol, I feel you guys on that one. My friends that give me hard times are cheap skates, they won't spend a dime on anything not necessary and they make good money. So it is kind of hard to deal with them, they talk about how much money I am wasting. To me, it is well worth it. It occupies my time, it is an extremely rewarding process and it makes you think sometimes. I like the intellectual aspect of it almost as much as the tanks themselves, there is always more to learn.

@ ryan-peddle
Exactly... Like my mom wanted to buy me a fish that I wouldn't buy myself... so I thought about a fish that was out of my price range :devilish: and that's what is showing up tomorrow.

That is a great present, it is what my wife gets me now for special occasions.

Greenmaster said:
@ ryan-peddle
Exactly... Like my mom wanted to buy me a fish that I wouldn't buy myself... so I thought about a fish that was out of my price range :devilish: and that's what is showing up tomorrow.

What was that fish? My parents think i'm way too sucked into fish, but frankly, i keep a better/ healthier tank using the same tank my dad used. He used to keep fish too, but they all died.

I'll give one more hint it's direct from Hawaii.
Hints so far:
Out of my price range
From Hawaii
Gift from mom

Back
Top Bottom