How much NitrAte is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bronxbomber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have seen many combination threads and a couple of different numbers but not one that just answers this question.

How much Nitrate is too much in a planted tank?

How much Nitrate is too much in a plantless tank?

Assuming tank is cycled.

40ppm is considered the most before you start seeing problems with fish health (which doesn't mean it isn't occuring below 40ppm); most of us aim for 20ppm tops and prefer around 10ppm.

Planted or plantless, doesn't matter.

I aim for 15-20 ppm Nitrate for my planted tank, just to make sure I don't bottom out between dosing. I have not seen any negative effects on my fish at that level.

Great. I am pretty consistent at 15, even after PWCs. But I saw some people say 5 and I havent been able to get it that low. I had been adding a liquid fertilizer during PWCs. I think I may stop and see what happens.

Thnaks for all the help.... again.

careful not to bottom out on some other nutrient... are you sure the fert you were adding contains N?

hmmm, it doesn't look like it contains any Nitrogen anyway. It is a source of Iron and Potassium.

Fertilizer Product Database

It does however, contain copper, so be careful if you decide on any inverts for your tank, it could be deadly.

10-20 in both is good. 40 is high.

Spot on advice from an expert.

Also, the level of nitrates being "high" is relative and can vary between different species. 40ppm might be toxic to something like a discus but for goldfish and "dirty fish" that is perfectly fine.

fort, I do have an like some Ghost shrimp.... can you recommend a more approriate fertilizer for my tank?

All the other advice thanks. I was sweatin having 15 no matter what.

Having planted tanks since I started keeping them, I've never seen greater than 20ppm nitrates. And when my tanks finished cycling, the plants tended to take the nitrates down to zero really fast. If you have plants, and plenty of light, nitrates should not be a problem. In fact, if you want a balance between N and P (phosphorus) for the algae control, you may have to add a little N (but not past 20 ppm).

have used the Flourish comprehensive to supplement... and the under-gravel tabs. Plants are doing well with that.

Last edited:
Bronx,

You can buy dry ferts and mix your own from Rex Griggs. That is the cheapest way to go.

Flourish also makes lines of individually packaged N, P, and K. It is a lot more expensive this way, but then they are premixed. It is what I use for now, but plan on switching to dry ferts when these run out. Flourish also makes a comprehensive formula that contains trace elements.

You may be ok, the copper levels in that fert are fairly low, and ghost shrimp are hardy and cheap... but copper is def deadly for inverts, so I think it could eventually get to your ghost shrimp.

Having planted tanks since I started keeping them, I've never seen greater than 20ppm nitrates. And when my tanks finished cycling, the plants tended to take the nitrates down to zero really fast.

cwt, I thought that plants took down the Nitrites, not Nitrates. Did I have that backwards, or do they do both?

I'm a newbie to plants...can you tell?

Are there certain plants that will suck up more than others? I'm assuming that light level has a factor due to accelerated growth which would in turn increase intake.

Floyd, fast growers like hornwort will use more. In the right environment, a stem of hornwort can grow an inch or more a day.

Definitally check your tap water I was so confused for a while but I have a constant 10ppm for nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom