How Much Nitrite From Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twodaend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been cycling a 75 gallon for a week and I know I have some time to go. However, I was wondering how high should I see my Nitrite go? My Ammonia is dropping very very slow and my Nitrite has risen to 2ppm. The 2ppm and 5ppm colors are so close so I did a half strength test with tank water and tap water and the results appear to be closer to 2 than 5. However, if I started out with 1.5ppm of Ammonia, how much Nitrite can I expect. Is this normal?
I've only added the ammonia as Dr. Tim's instructs not to add ammonia if Ammonia or Nitrite reading is above 1ppm.

Using Ace Hardware Ammonia
8/12/19 - Add Ammonia 5.0mL = 1.5ppm; Add 8oz of Dr. Tim's One & Only
8/13/19 - pH = 8.2, NH3 = 1.5, NO2 = 0
8/14/19 - pH = 8.2, NH3 = 1.5, NO2 = 0
8/15/19 - pH = 8.2, NH3 = 1, NO2 = .25, NO3 = 0
8/16/19 - pH = 8.2, NH3 = 1, NO2 = .5, NO3 = 0
8/17/19 - pH = 8.2, NH3 = 1, NO2 = 2, NO3 = 5
8/18/19 - pH = 8.2, NH3 = .5, NO2 = 2, NO3 = 5

I don't know the answer to your question and I am sure someone does , but my advice is to just chill and let nature take it's course . Seems like the cycle has started if you have nitrites this soon . Keep checking ammonia,nitrites,and nitrates and keep ammonia below 4 ppm so as to not stall the cycle .

Yes, you can expect the nitrites to rise and nitrates will rise significantly. When I cycled my tank, once it dipped below 1ppm from 4ppm I'd dose it back to 4ppm. It took a couple of weeks before there was any nitrites or dip in ammonia. Did you seed your tank with an old filter? The ammonia drop and nitrite rise was very quick.

Back
Top Bottom