How much room do I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllyH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my 20H tank I currently have 6 Kuhli Loaches and 6 Guppies. I know I'm under stocked because I only get around 5 nitrate in a little less than a week. How many more guppies/kuhlis could I add? (I'm under the impression that they have the same bioload) or what other fish could be added? I love dwarf gourami, would one be compatible as well?

I have lots of hiding places, live plants and a sponge filter. My substrate is sand.

Also another quick question.. How much should I feed my Kuhli Loaches? The guy at the LFS said 2 pellets daily for all 6 loaches but that didn't seem like enough at all so I've been giving 4. I can't time how fast they eat it because they all get to the pellets at different times. They are Omega One.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425666733.874142.jpg

About the feeding, are you using the algae bottom feeder discs? I use one of those for 3 dojo loaches, 2 for the tank with 8 albino cories and a bristle nose pleco, so I suspect 2 for kuhlis with what your guppies don't eat is plenty. If you're using the pellet types, I'd say 3 or 4 is fine.

Not sure about the kuhlis--I would say add 2, but not sure the 20H footprint would support that as I've not had the fish. A dwarf gourami would not work with the guppies from what I've read. Same sort of problem as a betta--not a big fan of the colorful flowy fin types, and DGs are among the more aggressive gouramis. Maybe a honey gourami? Or maybe a handful of marbled or pygmy hatchetfish? Or, if the guppies hang towards the top of the tank rather than the middle like mine did, some micro rasboras, CPDs, or nano type tetras.

I'm using omega one shrimp pellets. I heard that a DG would be fine but I guess I'll pass just to be safe

Get a Honey Gourami! They are not aggressive like the DGs. And they have engaging personalities, although I've had one or two that were shy. I would not put DGs in with guppies, but I've kept Honey Gouramis with guppies several times, and never had a single problem. Honeys are the sweethearts of the Gourami world, as well as Sparkling Gouramis. I also have one of those, and they are also very non aggressive.

Get a Honey Gourami! They are not aggressive like the DGs. And they have engaging personalities, although I've had one or two that were shy. I would not put DGs in with guppies, but I've kept Honey Gouramis with guppies several times, and never had a single problem. Honeys are the sweethearts of the Gourami world, as well as Sparkling Gouramis. I also have one of those, and they are also very non aggressive.

HG's are so sweet! Ihave had 2 in my 55g for 2 years now. We call them the Sunshine Twins lol.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom