How much sand do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so how much sand do I need for a 12 gallon eclipse? The dimensions are 11.5" L X 21" W X 17.5" H. How many inches of sand would you use? I'm going to put live plants such as Marino balls and some other plants. If you could also give me suggestions on some true aquatic plants that require minimal lighting, no fertilizer/extra chemicals etc, and also will fit in a 12 gallon tank with 4 Marimo balls 3 albino cories and 1 female Berta thanks and also doesn't need a co2 thing!

Sorry I put this in the wrong place I'm kinda new. So what's pfs? I'm going to use sand deigned for aquariums. If you want the link I have it I'll post it if you'd like. You really didn't answer my question but thanks for telling me there's a planted tank section I never go there.
You're just going to be using regular sand, like PFS?

Moving to the planted tank section

PFS is pool filter sand. It's a common source of sand used in the hobby, even though it's really designed for pool filters.

Here is a good calculator to determine how much sand you'll need. Since you're planting plants in it, I'd go at least 3 inches deep. The calculator says you'll need around 40 pounds.

Whoa 40 pounds of sand? That seems like a lot to me but I've never used sand before. So what kinds of plants should I get that require minimal lighting, no fertilizer/extra chemicals, and require no co2 things. I already plan 4 marimo balls is should I go for 6? I'm buying the smallest ones I can find. Also last question it's about aerobic pockets in sand. Some people say o should stir the sand. Some people say I should leave it alone so it doesn't go in the filter and it's ok to have aerobic pockets as long as you don't disturb them. Some people say they'll come up by themselves. Some people say don't stir it it'll mess up your plants and roots. So my point is everyone I asked has said opposite things. What's the true answer?
PFS is pool filter sand. It's a common source of sand used in the hobby, even though it's really designed for pool filters.

Here is a good calculator to determine how much sand you'll need. Since you're planting plants in it, I'd go at least 3 inches deep. The calculator says you'll need around 40 pounds.

I don't think I'd put forty pounds of sand in a 12g. I have fifty pounds in my 29g (30" x 12" footprint) and the sand is at least three inches deep. If you go with PFS, buy the fifty pound bag and add until it looks good to you. I figure about 30-35lb. PFS is cheap. I got my sand at Home Depot for $3 for 50lb.

There are lots of plants that are easy to take care of. Check out java ferns and anubias. Anacharis is another good one.

Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS) will stir your sand adequately to prevent it from going anaerobic. Stirring with a coat hanger when you do water changes will also work. Anaerobic pockets actually start creating toxic gas. Leaving them alone will let the gas build until the pocket explodes and will probably wipe out your tank.

Back
Top Bottom